• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Withholding transcript

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zoesman69

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ga
I am returning to college after many years. One of my former schools is withholding my transcript saying that when I worked for them 11 years after attending classes there and 6 years ago they overpaid me on my last check which included payment for leave accrued etc. Can they prevent me from recieving my transcript for something that is not related to my time as a student? I certainly do not have my pay stub from so long ago.

Humusluvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ga
I am returning to college after many years. One of my former schools is withholding my transcript saying that when I worked for them 11 years after attending classes there and 6 years ago they overpaid me on my last check which included payment for leave accrued etc. Can they prevent me from recieving my transcript for something that is not related to my time as a student? I certainly do not have my pay stub from so long ago.
Is this the first you are hearing of the overpayment? Do you have tax returns from them? How much overpayment are they talking about? Do they have proof?

I don't THINK they can withhold your transcripts for an employment issue, but I don't know how you're going to get the transcripts without them giving them to you. Also, 11 year old transcripts may not help you in going back to school. My University only takes coursework taken within the last ten years. Make sure you need them first.

commentator

They can certainly withhold transcripts for school time related financial reasons, such as not paying back overpayments of student loans, or campus parking tickets or library use fines. And do, for many years, in my experience.

Of course you were not a student when this overpayment occurred, if it did, but you were probably still in the university payroll system. Others here will certainly be more knowledgeable about how this will all work.

I find it really hard to believe this is the first you have heard about this overpayment from six years ago. Are you sure you didn't just gaily walk away six years ago, knowing there was an issue and say "There's no way they can ever make me pay this!" ? How much was the overpayment?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">