• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Withholding Transcripts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Randman

I'm from Michigan. My son went to a private high school his freshman, sophomore, and junior years. When his senior year arrived, we still owed the school a little bit of money from the previous year's tuition.

Because of this, my son can no longer attend this school until the tuition is paid. I completely understand that. So, he has enrolled in a public school for his senior year. What I don't understand is how this private school can withhold his transcripts from his new public school. It's like the double whammy. He can't attend the school because the tuition is not paid up, so he's not. But when he goes to attend a public school, he still can't get his transcripts. They are also withholding his MEAP scores.

Is there any legal recourse that can be taken in this matter? Although I am repaying the outstanding bill and will take full responsibility for it, it is as though this private school his holding my son's education hostage.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Randman said:
I'm from Michigan. My son went to a private high school his freshman, sophomore, and junior years. When his senior year arrived, we still owed the school a little bit of money from the previous year's tuition.

Because of this, my son can no longer attend this school until the tuition is paid. I completely understand that. So, he has enrolled in a public school for his senior year. What I don't understand is how this private school can withhold his transcripts from his new public school. It's like the double whammy. He can't attend the school because the tuition is not paid up, so he's not. But when he goes to attend a public school, he still can't get his transcripts. They are also withholding his MEAP scores.

Is there any legal recourse that can be taken in this matter? Although I am repaying the outstanding bill and will take full responsibility for it, it is as though this private school his holding my son's education hostage.

My response:

They ARE holding the transcripts hostage, and they can, legally. Those transcripts are their security, and you agreed to that when you signed the contract with the school.

PAY YOUR DAMNED DEBTS! And we'll release the kid!

I love a good "Rock and a Hard Place" story!

IAAL

Last edited:
R

Randman

I never signed any freakin' papers. I think if you read my post, you will see that I said that I have to paid the debt.

I know the issue is as simple as "pay the damned bill". This is high school. Transcripts are necessary. It's the law that my kid has to go to school.

Last edited by a moderator:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Randman said:
I never signed any freakin' papers. I think if you read my post, you will see that I said that I have to paid the debt.

My response:

Show me where you said you have PAID the bill - - not that you're PAYING the bill.

Until the bill is PAID IN FULL, you don't get the transcripts.

Don't you understand basic concepts of contract law? Or, did you even bother to graduate high school? You signed an application and a contract for tuition - - you just don't remember because you have a short term memory problem .

The school isn't going to release the transcripts until your bill is PAID IN FULL. Now, isn't that simple?

IAAL

Last edited by a moderator:
C

coosi

Randiman's transcripts are hostage and HouseBoatHo takes everyone's threads hostage. Another successful match on FA...

stephenk

Randman said:

Where did you say that the tuition to the private school had been paid?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">