• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Would it be legal to have a protection dog at school?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfer123456

Would it be legal to have a protection dog at middle or high school? GSD, of course, fully trained, all black. Do you need a permit because she is not a seeing eye dog? Bend OR. Please let me know asap. Thank you and God Bless.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I'mTheFather

Would it be legal to have a protection dog at middle or high school? GSD, of course, fully trained, all black. Do you need a permit because she is not a seeing eye dog? Bend OR. Please let me know asap. Thank you and God Bless.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Um, no, there would be no legal way for you to have a 'protection' dog at school.

Why do you feel that you need one?

Wolfer123456

well...

My dog is very bonded with my child. She (the dog) goes nuts whenever her "person" is out of sight. It is a public school, and they are having drug issues. The dog is not out of control in any way and kids are allowed to bring their horses to school. Is there any kind of permit you could aquire to make it legal?

I'mTheFather

My dog is very bonded with my child. She (the dog) goes nuts whenever her "person" is out of sight. It is a public school, and they are having drug issues. The dog is not out of control in any way and kids are allowed to bring their horses to school. Is there any kind of permit you could aquire to make it legal?
No.

ETA: Presumably, the horses are not allowed into the classroom. You may, though not likely, receive permission for the dog to wait it out wherever the horses wait.

Last edited:

sandyclaus

If your dog is that bonded to the child, whatever do you do when the child is away for other reasons? I mean, seriously.

You need to give that child some time away, if for no other reason than to break such an unhealthy bond that the two of them can hardly spend time apart. Not healthy for the child, because it keeps him from engaging in social behavior with PEOPLE, and not healthy for the dog in that the dog needs to be treated like, well, a DOG, and not a person.

Humusluvr

No.

ETA: Presumably, the horses are not allowed into the classroom. You may, though not likely, receive permission for the dog to wait it out wherever the horses wait.
It's not a full sized horse - there are miniature horses used as "seeing eye horses," rather than dogs.

Guide Horse Foundation - Miniature horses for the blind

And, I agree with the other posters, the school SHOULD NOT, and legally could not, have a dog that is not a certified seeing eye or medically prescribed dog. Even if the dog is "nice," is there are such separation anxiety issues with the dog, it could become vicious around other children. Seeing eye dogs are trained not to do that.

I'm actually really surprised by this question. Really? The dog is lonely, and you legally want the dog to go to school with your kid? I had pictures in my head of a pitbull or rottweiler going to school to protect your kid from bullies. This question, is, um, sigh**************.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It's not a full sized horse - there are miniature horses used as "seeing eye horses," rather than dogs.
We don't know that this is the case here, though... I'm sure there are places/states where kids actually do ride to school.

It would be nice to know why OP couldn't answer what state is involved.

Humusluvr

We don't know that this is the case here, though... I'm sure there are places/states where kids actually do ride to school.

It would be nice to know why OP couldn't answer what state is involved.
Yes, but you couldn't bring a full sized horse into a classroom with you, unless you are having class in a barn (and stranger things have happened).

The OP said, "Bend, OR." Which I thought was the city of Bend, in Oregon. Maybe my reading skills are back on for today! LOL

Just Blue

Could you please define "protection dog"?

Thanks
Blue

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes, but you couldn't bring a full sized horse into a classroom with you, unless you are having class in a barn (and stranger things have happened).
OP didn't say the horses are brought into the classroom. I can imagine rural areas where kids ride to school.

The OP said, "Bend, OR." Which I thought was the city of Bend, in Oregon. Maybe my reading skills are back on for today! LOL
I'll give you that one.

But still... a protection dog is not the same as a service animal. As much as I love dogs, I would have an issue with a MS/HS kid strolling around the halls with a trained attack dog. The dog needs some help if it can't be out of sight of the child. What is going to happen when the child goes to college (assuming the dog is still alive)?

CJane

Interesting that the description was deemed necessary. What if it was a 'protection dog' that was, instead, white?

Also. 'Fully trained' would include not freaking out when its 'master' is out of sight.

Dog needs meds/more training/a life. NOT to go to school with the child.

Humusluvr

Interesting that the description was deemed necessary. What if it was a 'protection dog' that was, instead, white?

Also. 'Fully trained' would include not freaking out when its 'master' is out of sight.

Dog needs meds/more training/a life. NOT to go to school with the child.
I wondered about that too.

Wolfer123456

Here's my reply

Now, this dog is fully trained and very well behaved. For those of you who have asked; a protection dog is a dog that is trained to protect. She can track, do agility, and take on multiple attackers. If there was an intruder, or if someone attacked my child, the dog would disarm/take down the threat. When the dog is in a public place, she will wait for the command if she needs to attack. In no way would she EVER bite a kid or even get anxious unless there is a SERIOUS threat. (if you have further complaints about this, then you know nothing about protection dogs. Please think before you speak) And no, she does not have an unhealthy bond with my kid. She, being the dog, attends all of the sporting events and social gatherings with my kid. I need not worry about that because my kid is popular and always having parties and such. All I'm asking is that is there any way to make it so the dog can go to school? Thank you very much for answering and God Bless.
P.S. Yes it is Bend Oregon, but really we live outside it aways near Tumalo and Sisters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">