• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

36 month exception

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

artvandelay

What is the name of your state? PA

Here's my story. Mom is in a nursing home. I know there is a 36 month rule exception when it comes to transfering her house. One is me. A child caregiver that lived with that person and took care of them for two years prior to them going into a home.

Now, my one sister thinks we should do it, my other sister doesn't. And my brother who is Power of Attorney, doesn't think we should. It's 2 against 2, but he's POA. What rights do I have to the house. Or since he's POA, do I have no rights?

And since her only income is $1800.00 monthly, will medicaid pick up everything?

Thanks

Greg

BlondiePB

artvandelay said:
What is the name of your state? PA

Here's my story. Mom is in a nursing home. I know there is a 36 month rule exception when it comes to transfering her house. One is me. A child caregiver that lived with that person and took care of them for two years prior to them going into a home.

Now, my one sister thinks we should do it, my other sister doesn't. And my brother who is Power of Attorney, doesn't think we should. It's 2 against 2, but he's POA. What rights do I have to the house. Or since he's POA, do I have no rights?

And since her only income is $1800.00 monthly, will medicaid pick up everything?

Thanks

Greg
Sorry, but I'm having difficulty making sense of a lot of your post. The standard answer regarding "spending down" or transferring assests to qualify for Medicaid is that we do not assist posters with that because it is fraud, which is a crime.

As for the POA, the POA has the legal authorization regarding your mother's affairs, not you. Therefore, you have no rights regarding your mother's affairs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">