• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandon property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

star

What is the name of your state? Oregon:

My mother abandon our house 9 years ago.
I am her son and have lived here since we
bought it. She has changed her identity and
wants nothing to do with her past because
of mental problems. I have kept up the house and paid off the mortgage and taxes.
All I want to do is put my name on the title
of the house to do repairs, I don't want to
take her name off. She cannot be contacted by anyone, What can I do ???What is the name of your state?

moburkes

Well, all you can do is have her sell it to you. You can't take it. You made improvements and payments on a property that didn't rightfully belong to you. Had you let it go into foreclosure, and eventually the sheriff's sale, you could have bought it at that time, and what have then owned it.

xylene

Well, all you can do is have her sell it to you. You can't take it. You made improvements and payments on a property that didn't rightfully belong to you. Had you let it go into foreclosure, and eventually the sheriff's sale, you could have bought it at that time, and what have then owned it.
It was his mother you know. I somehow don't think sticking mentally ill mom for the mortgage would have been nice.

Your plan would work equally well at the tax sale however...

moburkes

It was his mother you know. I somehow don't think sticking mentally ill mom for the mortgage would have been nice.

Your plan would work equally well at the tax sale however...
I'm not saying that he should have done that. I'm simply saying that he knowingly made payments and improvements on a property that was not his. But, I also don't think that he would have been "sticking" her for the mortgage is what he would have been doing. He didn't make her leave. He didn't abandon her, or anything.

xylene

I'm not saying that he should have done that. I'm simply saying that he knowingly made payments and improvements on a property that was not his. But, I also don't think that he would have been "sticking" her for the mortgage is what he would have been doing. He didn't make her leave. He didn't abandon her, or anything.

The point I was trying to make is that he didn't leave the house either. It was mom's mortgage, moms house. He was (and is) just a tenant. I know if my mom was my landlord I would pay my mom her rent, even if she wasn't fit to collect it. His rent was the mortgage, so true enough he didn't build any equity... that's not legal advice except that any way you slice it his payments of mom's mortgage built no equity.

If the taxes stop being paid on a property the landlord has abandoned, well its tax sale time.

However in either case, foreclosure or tax sale... he would have likely been evicted by the authorities before the sale.

So this guy needs a PI to find mom, and quite possibly a lawyer if he is determined to stay in house... or just a real estate agent and a willingness to accept lessons learned.

moburkes

Agreed 100%, except that he may not have been able to afford both the homeonwer's insurance AND the renter's insurance, and, like you said, the property taxes, etc. Except, since he was able to improve the property that he was renting, he probably did have the money for the rest of the stuff.

Big lesson learned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">