• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abuse of poa altzheimers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CharleneB

South Carolina My Mother was diagnosed in 2009 with Alzheimer's. Sisters went behind my brother & my backs & named POA (sister & her husband) other was executor. In 2014 Mother changed POA naming brother to even things out, I told lawyer there should be no more changes. Sisters went down in 2014 down and took her jewelry. Her disease was advancing and she claimed they stole them. They didnt go down again until 10/16, but this point she was delusional and seeing babies, kids. I went in January of this year and took her to an assisted living facility in OH, where my brother & sister live. My sisters were going to place her in a home in SC where none of her children live. We all live at least 550 miles I was told I had 2 weeks to do something and then they would do it, whether I liked it or not. I just found out they they went to the same lawyer in Oct of 2016 and reversed the changes that were made in 2014. They have since done all types of shady things, changing the locks on the house. selling things without telling my brother or myself. They sold her car for below book value and won't reveal who bought it. I have a "feeling" that they have sol her house to a cousin. How far does POA rights and responsibilities go? They took a woman who is delusional and changed the POA is that legal? The lawyer knew she has Alzheimer's is he guilty of ethics violations? I am living on a fixed income and can't afford a lawyer. It isn't about the money. it's about the things they have done and will do. Do I have any rights?

Dandy Don

Are there documented medical records that would show that she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's on a date before the POA was written? If so, then the POA would have been illegal. Abuise of POA cases are expensive in attorney fees with no guarantee of an outcome that would be favorable to you.

Unless there was an inventory taken of the jewelry, it is going to be very difficult to prove what was stolen.

Did your mother leave a last will and testament? What year was it written? Is it being probated in court currently?

Do you have any idea of what the value of her estate is now?

CharleneB

Throwing in towel

I am about ready to throw in the towel. It isn't the money. There is NO money. It is the fact they have changed the lock on my Mother's house and have a cousin in there de-cluttering the house. Some of that clutter is mine. My life is and memories are in some of that clutter. Also I thought I was going back in and left my diamond band in there, paintings from when I was in HS on and on...nothing I can do. I am not fighting for money, just my clutter at this point and my ring. I probably will never see that.

CharleneB

Do POA's have nay Responsibilities to the Family

Hi, does anyone know, do the POA's have any responsibility or accountability for decisions they make or do they just have Carte Blanche? I am being told they can do what they want and basically screw me. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">