• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

alcholic brother moved in with 92 year old father, controls assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glyndalee

What is the name of your state? California.
When my mom died 8 years ago my alcoholic brother moved in with my dad and now controls his assets without any legal authority to do so. He took the only bedroom in the house forcing my dad to sleep on the couch. I tried to set up a living trust, but my brother wouldn't let me have access to the necessary documents. I have limited funds and a disabled son, so my ability to go to Illinois and take care of my dad is limited. I want to move my dad to California with me and establish a conservatorship. Will it hold up in Illinois where he has lived and has his assets? Dad has income of about 2500 a month, from retirement and SS. He has CDs and savings in three banks in Illinois, but I can't get them transfered to California unless he goes into the bank in Illinois in person and makes the changes. (I've called the banks.) He can't do that alone and my brother would never help him with me involved in any way. My brother verbally abuses dad and neglects him, but so far hasn't abused him financially. He just won't let me help or have any access. I'm the only daughter. Is there anything I can do?
Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Dandy Don

Talk to an Illinois family law attorney about acquiring guardianship legally. Do you know the status of your father's current bank accounts--has brother been getting money from that? If so, then your attorney needs to ask him whether he has power of attorney and if so, attorney will need to get that POA revoked if you are going to assume guardianship and attorney will also need to look at how the bank accounts are set up--is brother on the accounts as a joint co-owner or not?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">