• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

B/F uses POA to frighten ,control sister-in-law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My sister-in-law gave her boyfriend "POA" about 4 years ago, before she went to serve a 3 year jail sentence. Since she has gotten out of jail, this "boyfriend" throws the "POA" and the supposed power it gives him, at her everytime she does something he doesn't want her to do. He has her convinced that the POA she gave him can not be revoked or cancelled, unless she goes before a Judge and that even then the Judge won't remove him unless HE agrees to it.

This is an example of what he tells her...

1. If you go out tonight, then I will call the police, show them my POA, and have them take you to jail.

He constantly tells her to "go ahead... all I gotta do is make ONE call and your @ss will go "right back to jail."

He also tells her that one of the conditions of her probation is that he has to remain her POA.

She doesn't own anything except clothing and a few knick knacks. She works (he refuses to) and he used his POA to have HER paycheck directly depositted into HIS bank account.

Other family members have tried to help her out, but she is scared to death she'll go back to jail.

Is he correct that the POA gives him all of these decisions?? Could it actually be in her probation condition like he says??

Thanx, THUMBELINA58

BlondiePB

Thumbelina58 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

My sister-in-law gave her boyfriend "POA" about 4 years ago, before she went to serve a 3 year jail sentence. Since she has gotten out of jail, this "boyfriend" throws the "POA" and the supposed power it gives him, at her everytime she does something he doesn't want her to do. He has her convinced that the POA she gave him can not be revoked or cancelled, unless she goes before a Judge and that even then the Judge won't remove him unless HE agrees to it.

This is an example of what he tells her...

1. If you go out tonight, then I will call the police, show them my POA, and have them take you to jail.

He constantly tells her to "go ahead... all I gotta do is make ONE call and your @ss will go "right back to jail."

He also tells her that one of the conditions of her probation is that he has to remain her POA.

She doesn't own anything except clothing and a few knick knacks. She works (he refuses to) and he used his POA to have HER paycheck directly depositted into HIS bank account.

Other family members have tried to help her out, but she is scared to death she'll go back to jail.

Is he correct that the POA gives him all of these decisions?? Could it actually be in her probation condition like he says??

Thanx, THUMBELINA58
What has her probation officer said about the POA being a condition? SIL needs to revoke the POA and kick her boyfriend to the curb.

Dandy Don

She may also want to talk to a local domestic violence organization to find a safe place to stay just in case boyfriend goes ballistic and she may need to in the future or now file a restraining order against him. Yes, the POA CAN be revoked now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">