• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of fiduciary duty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marcalans

What is the name of your state?California:
I have co-POA with my sister and brother for my mother who has suffered from Alzheimer’s for the last 6 years. Since I live closest to my mother, I attend to her medical and comfort needs and financial matters. I work closely with the nursing home in which she lives and coordinate physician visits and other care needs. My sister, who lives out of state and is battling cancer, has always assisted as much as possible and has visited numerous times. My brother, on the other hand, never visits, calls, or contributes in any way to the care of my mother.

Recently, we learned that my mother must take distributions from one of her annuities or face severe tax penalty consequences. Her annuity company is requiring that all three of the co-agents sign a form authorizing withdrawal of her distribution, which would be transferred electronically to her bank account.

The problem is that my brother refuses to sign the form because he does not trust me or my sister to handle any of my mother’s financial obligations. The annuity company will not intervene in the matter. My brother, after many years of voluntary nonparticipation in my mother’s affairs, is now demanding that I send him copies of every single receipt, medical record, bank account statement, and tax information from the past 15 years. The records have always been accessible to him in person and I do not have the time nor resources to comply with his demand. Consequently, I have two questions:

1) Is my brother in breach of his fiduciary duty as a co-agent by not allowing my mother to take her IRA distribution and is he potentially liable for any monetary losses that she may incur as a result of IRS penalties?

2) Am I legally obligated to provide him with copies of records in the manner which he demands and for over such a long period of time (9-10 years before my mother required assistance)?

BlondiePB

Ah, squibblings!!

Her annuity company is requiring that all three of the co-agents sign a form authorizing withdrawal of her distribution, which would be transferred electronically to her bank account.
The annuity company is perfectly within their right to do so even if the POA states that each agent can act without authorization of the others. Just read some of the horror stories in this forum section, probate section, and wills and trusts section.
The problem is that my brother refuses to sign the form because he does not trust me or my sister to handle any of my mother’s financial obligations. The annuity company will not intervene in the matter. My brother, after many years of voluntary nonparticipation in my mother’s affairs, is now demanding that I send him copies of every single receipt, medical record, bank account statement, and tax information from the past 15 years. The records have always been accessible to him in person and I do not have the time nor resources to comply with his demand.
It is not the annuity company's duty to intervene in this matter. Do you really expect your brother to come from another state to see those records in person when it is not necessary for him to do so because you can mail the records to him? You can do this the easy way or the hard way. The easy way is to comply with your brother's demands and send him the total accounting of your mother's finances - including bank statements, receipts, and copies of cancelled checks. POAs that have nothing to hide from other siblings do so willingly, regardless of the sibling's involvement with the parent.

Or, you can do this the hard way. Your brother can take you to court to answer to a judge and has the legal right to do so. You will have to provide the court with the same info that your brother is asking you to provide - including bank statements, receipts, and cancelled checks since the date you became a POA of your mother. You will have to prove that you have not breached your fiduciary responsibility.
Is my brother in breach of his fiduciary duty as a co-agent by not allowing my mother to take her IRA distribution and is he potentially liable for any monetary losses that she may incur as a result of IRS penalties?
No, and it depends.

p.s. Squibblings are squabbling siblings. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">