• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be forced to pay parents' expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky and Florida

I hope this doesn't sound too monstrous, but i have a legal concern. I have been estranged from my parents for over 20 years. I live in Kentucky, and last I knew, they were living in Florida.

I recently read an article about a situation in another state where a nursing home sued and won a judgment against the son of a parent who stayed at the nursing home.

I have not ever / will not ever sign papers to claim responsibility for them. I don't want or expect any inheritance. I just want to know if this presents a legal vulnerability. If so, then I would be open to ideas on protecting my interests.

anteater

If you were reading about Pennsylvania, realize that you were reading about an outlier - at least at the present time.

Something like 30 states have what are called filial responsibility laws. You can do a search for more info. These laws have generally not been enforced although one can "never say never."

The info that I find indicates that Florida does not currently have such a law

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">