• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I stop siblings mail at dads house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marinerman

What is the name of your state... California

I have a sibling (I'll call her Helen) who has caused some problems. First of all my dad has Alzheimers, my brother (who lives in Big Bear) is the sole trustee. I live in dads house and manage the affairs of the house. Schedule caregivers; Dr.s appts.; grocery shopping; I also manage 3 of dads properties in Bakersfield and help my brother with the financials.

My brother is the sole trustee because I got tired of my sister Helen having dad write $8000; 2500; 3000 checks to her and dad not know an hour later what he had done (Alzheimers). My sister went to dads bank and tried to put dads house title in her name. Luckily the credit union put the brakes on and actually issued an alert to its employees if my sister tried to change anything. (Note) My sister was adopted when she was a baby. That's gratitude for you! I read the trust; dad stipulated with 2 Drs letters, the first of four trustees (my brother) would manage dads financial affairs if he wasn't capable. I did the work necessary for this to happen. Now my brother has the checkbook.

Since I took my sisters 'cash cow' away, she's had it in for me. Dads care-giving is stellar. An RN from Kaiser visited us about 8 months ago and said dads house in regards to safety lay out; cleanliness; safety equipment etc., was the best she's ever seen at a private residence. Dad has 3 caregivers; full time days - I'll call her Diane - experienced caregiver/very good; nights (me) and weekends (my nephew). Yet my sister still calls DPSS and tries to file a report that dad wasn't being taken care of. The social worker visited and realized very quickly her time was being wasted. Our full time caregiver Diane quickly reprimanded my sister as any blemish would go against Dianes record for future employment.

I work on the weekend and while I'm gone, Helen comes by and rearranges furniture in the caregivers room and throughout the house. I asked Helen not to go into the caregivers room, but she did anyways to remove file cabinets with important documents and put them in the garage. Helen also receives a lot of mail at dads house. Dad is no longer capable of being responsible for her mail. I live here. I'd like Helens mail to stop. The less she comes over the house to disrupt things, the better. Can I stop her mail from coming to the house? Can I do anything to stop my sister form disrupting the household? Thank you very much.

OK-LL

I would suggest you change the locks on the the house and she is no longer admitted when you are not home. It's unfortunate to restrict her visits on her father's behalf, but she is taking advantage of them to rearrange things that aren't hers and probably snoop though things, too. I would not let her free-range throughout the house and that will stop the disturbing things you describe. You could also re-route her mail by printing up some stickers that say "Please forward to: [her address here]." The post office will gladly redirect her mail to the address shown at no cost to you. Or you can mark them, "Return to Sender, not at this address". I would only do this in the face of her refusal after asking her to change her address with USPS. Then get ready for the blowback.

FlyingRon

Stickers won't make the post office change anything. You can go visit the post office (or set up online) to actually change the forwarding. Make sure you check the box that's only for this one recipient rather than the entire household.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Stickers won't make the post office change anything. You can go visit the post office (or set up online) to actually change the forwarding. Make sure you check the box that's only for this one recipient rather than the entire household.
HOWEVER, the person who would need to set up forwarding would need to be the person whose mail is being forwarded. You can't forward someone else's mail. It's illegal for the OP to do what you are suggesting (going online and setting up forwarding.)

The OP simply write "Not at this address. Return to sender." on the mail and give it back to the carrier.

OK-LL

Correct, the USPS will not permanently change an address based on the sticker I proposed above, but it absolutely will redeliver that piece of mail to the new address listed on the sticker -- I have done it so many times. That's why I proposed stickers, OP will have to use them on each piece of mail. The alternative is as set out above, to mark the items "not at this address" or "return to sender" and let them sort it out at that end.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Correct, the USPS will not permanently change an address based on the sticker I proposed above, but it absolutely will redeliver that piece of mail to the new address listed on the sticker -- I have done it so many times. That's why I proposed stickers, OP will have to use them on each piece of mail. The alternative is as set out above, to mark the items "not at this address" or "return to sender" and let them sort it out at that end.
The stickers you propose are not allowed per USPS regulations. You may have a friendly postmaster, but it's not proper.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">