• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can name on deed prevent nursing home from taking your home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zBernie

I read that putting a child's name on a deed to prevent a nursing home from taking the home to cover expenses can be "disastrous". So, assuming I am no longer alive, and my wife put the house entirely in our son's name prior to the 5 year period allowed for this, would the home be completely protected from confiscation?

Last edited by a moderator:

anteater

The Medicaid look back period is 5 years.

(And, frankly, I object to the use of the word "confiscation.")

LdiJ

I read that putting a child's name on a deed to prevent a nursing home from taking the home to cover expenses can be "disastrous". So, assuming I am no longer alive, and my wife put the house entirely in our son's name prior to the 5 year period allowed for this, would the home be completely protected from confiscation?
The Medicaid look back is 5 years, but you would not necessarily be doing your son any favor to do that.

xylene

You could do proper care and estate planning, instead of this ghetto alex jones 'save my house from confiscartion in 1 easy step.' routine

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">