• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can A POA act though a SECOND POA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acensor

What is the name of your state? OREGON

Apologies if this is a duplicate posting of something I THOUGHT I posted this morning. (If I posted it I can't find it and any replies.)

I am the POA (Durable POA) for an elderly relative. If events make it difficult for me to continue to manage is affairs (as I currently do) or I become unable to, if I give my wife durable POA (now while fully capable) my durable POA to fully act on my behalf, etc, can she use/produce the two POAs to have the rights/powers given to me by my relative's POA to handle his affairs as I would. (assuming both a valid and current, etc)?

I might called this "cascading POAs"

To my layman's logic it seems like the answer would be yes (indeed it might on the face of it seem that there would theoretically be no limit on a chain of POAs), but the law or practice might be quite different than my logic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">