• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can POA powers be handed off via a second POA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acensor

OREGON.

If I have, say, a durable POA from you (and it's current, valid, etc) and I have some concerns about whether I will be present and capable of acting on your behalf in the POA role when needed, if I create a durable POA for a third person to act on my behalf, can they then use the two POA's together to do whatever your POA you gave me entitled me to do?

Seems logical to me that if I authorize a third person to act legally as if they were me and had all the "signing" and other rights that I have that that would include the power to use the POA that I hold as if they were me. However, I'm well aware that what seems logical to me isn't always the way the law works.

Then there's the practial question: IF my interpretation of this (what I'll call here "cascaded POAs") is right, then what's the chance that a bank would honor them in the manner I picture?

BlondiePB

This Sounds Like Homework

IF my interpretation of this (what I'll call here "cascaded POAs") is right, then what's the chance that a bank would honor them in the manner I picture?
None. See Zigner's reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">