• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can POA sell or donate house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blzthanksyou

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Ohio question.....My aunt's health is failing and she named my mom power of attorney of her medical affairs and financial affairs. She is married but in the midst of her failing health learned that her husband had taken most of her life savings (gambling debts, girlfriend,etc....very sad!) She asked my mom to check all of her investments and see if any was left and to put it in a family member's name . She also had her lawyer write up a new will that would NOT have her husband be the beneficiary and she signed to have the beneficiary to be changed on her small life insurance policy. The problem is that the will is ready and the last thing to be signed according to her wishes but her health continues to decline and she has very few moments during the day that she would be strong enough to sign anything....plus a notary would need to be there at those specific moments. I have heard that a Power of Attorney cannot sign a will...is this true? What if my aunt could sign an x? And also.....could my mom, as acting POA, give her house away to a family member or charity before she passes away or sell it for a dollar if a sale would need to take place? My aunt was very adamant that she did not want him to have the house. It is in her name alone . We are desparately trying to grant her wishes before she passes away and do not want to see my uncle benefit from her death in any way! thanks for any advice in this matter!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">