• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caregiver contract: How do I protect myself from sister's irrational behavior

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Ducky

State: California

I have to hire a caregiver for my 86 year old father who needs 24-hour custodial care. There is a limited budget. I am currently sharing the duties with my sister and her husband. We cannot afford to place him in a care home or to have a 24-hour live-in. My sister is prone to irrational behavior. I anticipate her bailing on this responsibility or at least breaking the rules by being late or not showing up when expected to welcome or relieve a caregiver's shift.

I am thinking I should be the only one listed on the contract. I considered having her on the contract wondering if that would keep her inline but I doubt she comprehends the consequences of violating the contract. It will lead to extra fees if not breaking the contract. Inevitably I will have to pay the price if my father's needs are to be insured. That is how she will probably see things. She will be able to do whatever she feels like and I will have to cover it.

I know I am leaving a lot out. I will provide more information if you ask for it. Otherwise I would write out so much no one would bother reading it.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to protect myself from someone who I must rely on to assist me?

Thank you in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">