• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change Alternate POA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kantex98

What is the name of your state? Texas
My 92 year old mother signed a POA for me (only son) while still of sound mind in May 2001. Her alternate was my daughter.
Now my mother is in stage 7 of Alzheimer's > She fell in May 2005 and since then has went through the stages in 9-10 months.
My question is this? How do I replace my daughter with my wife as the alternate? I have heart problems and if I should suddenly die, my daughter lives 870 miles away and is in no position to handle my mother's affairs.
Any advice Thank YouWhat is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

kantex98 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
My 92 year old mother signed a POA for me (only son) while still of sound mind in May 2001. Her alternate was my daughter.
Now my mother is in stage 7 of Alzheimer's > She fell in May 2005 and since then has went through the stages in 9-10 months.
My question is this? How do I replace my daughter with my wife as the alternate? I have heart problems and if I should suddenly die, my daughter lives 870 miles away and is in no position to handle my mother's affairs.
Any advice Thank YouWhat is the name of your state?
You can't change anything about the POA unless specifically given that right under the current POA. If the POA is for health care decisions or other specific reason, or unless it's a general poa, you do not have the authority.

Dandy Don

Talk to a family law or elder care attorney about your options. You may be able to acquire guardianship which would give you financial control or you may be able to designate an alternate guardian. Is there another family member that you trust to handle the financial affairs in case something happens to you or would you prefer that a professional person outside of the family do that?

BlondiePB

Dandy Don said:
Talk to a family law or elder care attorney about your options. You may be able to acquire guardianship which would give you financial control or you may be able to designate an alternate guardian. Is there another family member that you trust to handle the financial affairs in case something happens to you or would you prefer that a professional person outside of the family do that?
If a guardian cannot perform his or her duties, the court must assign the ward another guardian. Guardians cannot just appoint an alternate to make the decisions that are the responsibility of the guardian ONLY to make.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">