• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contesting POA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hburdick

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I need information on how to contest a POA for my grandfather. My grandfather gave my uncle a FULL POA about 9 years ago after my grandmother died. At that time, both of my grandparents were being taken care of in the home of my Aunt (the uncle's sister). Since then, they have altered the care arrangements amongst themselves - at first alternating between their houses/cities on a monthly basis, and now with my uncle having sole care of my grandfather (and my aunt not being allowed to see him without my uncle's permission and supervision - the uncle and aunt are feuding because my grandfather helped my aunt financially (cosigned a credit card) without asking my uncle's permission first.

Now, my uncle's wife has decided that caring for my grandfather is a burden - so, my grandfather is paying my cousin $150 per week to sit with him, etc. Recently, my grandfather suffered a collapsed lung. He also can barely speak, is having issues with his memory, and cannot stand up for himself. He has expressed his disdain for his current living situation, even signing his Christmas card to my aunt and myself "Doing time in Purgatory". However, the rest of the family is afraid to pursue contesting the POA because my grandfather desperately wants to avoid any additional family strife.

My grandparents took me in at the age of 12 and raised me until I went to college. Next to my husband, my grandfather is the most important person in my life. I refuse to believe that there is nothing I can do to improve his situation in what might be the last days of his life.

Is there some way for me to contest the power of attorney? Even if only temporarily, so that I can get him in a better situation? I am willing to try/do anything I have to in order to make this happen.

Thank you.What is the name of your state?

pojo2

Depending on the care and running involved with treatments etc. 150.00 per week is a lot less than the 100+ per hour caregivers might charge,

helped my aunt financially (cosigned a credit card) without asking my uncle's permission first.

He COULD very well have a reason to be concerned because grandfather is now just as liable for that debt as the aunt who has shown such financial irresponsibility she can not even obtain her own credit card.

If grandfather is this unhealthy and can not properly care for himself or his finances anymore then seek guardianship of him in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">