• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contesting a Will & Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Handyman8797

What is the name of your state? NY & Florida

My parents had a Will and Trust made up in 1998. They live in Florida. It gives me Power of Attorney when the time comes, and gives my Brother and Sister nothing.
My Father passed away last June and according to the Will and Trust my Mother got everything in the Estate. It is now her money and property. She has since changed a couple of things in the Will and Trust in regards to her rights under a lawyers advice and had the documents registered in Florida where she lives.

My Brother & Sister believe they are entitled to something, are they?
Do they have any rights to anything while my Mother is still very healthy and alive?
Can they take any legal action against her, and for that fact, me?
What actions should I be taking on my Mother's behalf, if any?

Please explain all answers, Thank you.

BelizeBreeze

Handyman8797 said:
What is the name of your state? NY & Florida

My parents had a Will and Trust made up in 1998. They live in Florida. It gives me Power of Attorney when the time comes, and gives my Brother and Sister nothing.
My Father passed away last June and according to the Will and Trust my Mother got everything in the Estate. It is now her money and property. She has since changed a couple of things in the Will and Trust in regards to her rights under a lawyers advice and had the documents registered in Florida where she lives.
It is her estate now, baring some language in the trust which does NOT give her the right to covert the assets.
My Brother & Sister believe they are entitled to something, are they?
That depends on what Mom's will states.
Do they have any rights to anything while my Mother is still very healthy and alive?
Yes, her undying love and affection.
Can they take any legal action against her, and for that fact, me?
Of course they can. Whether or not they prevail is dependent upon the language of your father's will and trust.
What actions should I be taking on my Mother's behalf, if any?
Take her to dinner.
Please explain all answers, Thank you.
why? You doing homework?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">