• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contributing to family expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skenned3

What is the name of your state? New York.

I have been caring for my elderly mother in my home for the last eight years. It has become a financial burden to care for her with all her special needs. I have become quite indebted because of the extra expense. She has a very good pension and social security benefits. She has always been agreeable to contribute one-third to the household but I have not done so as of yet fearing legal and moral ramifications. But it appears that I may have to start reimbursing my family for her one-third share or go broke. If this is possible it would be a blessing. Would an agreement like this be any reason for Medicaid to be refused later on if I cannot care for her at home any longer? She has just turned 93 years old. Thank you very much.

Tired and broke in New York.

seniorjudge

skenned3 said:
What is the name of your state? New York.

I have been caring for my elderly mother in my home for the last eight years. It has become a financial burden to care for her with all her special needs. I have become quite indebted because of the extra expense. She has a very good pension and social security benefits. She has always been agreeable to contribute one-third to the household but I have not done so as of yet fearing legal and moral ramifications. But it appears that I may have to start reimbursing my family for her one-third share or go broke. If this is possible it would be a blessing. Would an agreement like this be any reason for Medicaid to be refused later on if I cannot care for her at home any longer? She has just turned 93 years old. Thank you very much.

Tired and broke in New York.

If your mother is still mentally competent, have her set up a power of attorney for you to take care of her and use her funds.

If she is not mentally competent, you need to set up a guardianship/conservatorship for her.

You must hire a local attorney to do either of these.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">