• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt and Mental state.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mark_in_PA

What is the name of your state?
I live in PA, my dad is in NJ.

My father, can barley keep his life in order. He has a job (at the post office) we works almost 40 hours a week, but he can not pay his bills, do his taxes or clean his house. ( I pay the bills and do the taxes, the house is mess. Literally: papers up to the ceiling, you can not find the floor under the mess)

About 9 months ago someone stole his credit card, and the credit agencies say that he owes $3000. If I get him committed, can he get out of the debt?

What if the debt is a tax lien by the state (NJ)?

If that is not possible (and I do not think it is), is that cause to declare bankruptcy? (assuming he can not work if he is committed)
Oh: he does get Social Security, and own his home (with a mortage, which is about 95% of the value)

Thanks.

MARK

pojo2

You are going to commit your father who holds a 40 hour a week job to get him out of 3K in debt that is not even his?

Come on what is the real story here? Have you turned this matter over to the cc fraud division? If he did not make the charges (or you) then he would not have to even be concerned about the debt that was fraudulently put on his charge card.

It may come as a huge shock to you but many people do not pay their bills on time nor file their tax returns on time and their houses are messyand it does not make them mental institution cases.

I am reading a nasty suspicion on my part into your post so I will shut up now.

seniorjudge

Mark_in_PA said:
What is the name of your state?
I live in PA, my dad is in NJ.

My father, can barley keep his life in order. He has a job (at the post office) we works almost 40 hours a week, but he can not pay his bills, do his taxes or clean his house. ( I pay the bills and do the taxes, the house is mess. Literally: papers up to the ceiling, you can not find the floor under the mess)

About 9 months ago someone stole his credit card, and the credit agencies say that he owes $3000. If I get him committed, can he get out of the debt?

What if the debt is a tax lien by the state (NJ)?

If that is not possible (and I do not think it is), is that cause to declare bankruptcy? (assuming he can not work if he is committed)
Oh: he does get Social Security, and own his home (with a mortage, which is about 95% of the value)

Thanks.

MARK

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=185464

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=245228

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=185268

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">