• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a right to know about legal matters against my deceased mother?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melbelboater

Melissa for Pennsylvania

I received a phone call regarding supposed claims being filed against my deceased mother. They would not give me any information, plus they didn't know she was dead. Do I have a right to know what they are filing against her? I'm certain that this is a spam call but I really want to make them work for their horrible life and irritate them the way they ruined my morning. However, if it is legit I do want to know about what happened.

Thanks in advance,
Melissa

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Melissa for Pennsylvania

I received a phone call regarding supposed claims being filed against my deceased mother. They would not give me any information, plus they didn't know she was dead. Do I have a right to know what they are filing against her? I'm certain that this is a spam call but I really want to make them work for their horrible life and irritate them the way they ruined my morning. However, if it is legit I do want to know about what happened.

Thanks in advance,
Melissa
Are you the administrator of the estate? If not, then ask the administrator for an explanation.

Dandy Don

You received a call from who? A company or a business?

Stop being so concerned. Your mother may have had debts at the time she died, and a company has the right to submit a request for payment to the estate to get the bill paid. Maybe they assumed you were the administrator/executor of the estate and they wanted you to know that the bill was outstanding.

Calling a surviving relative is most unusual and is something that is not done very often. Maybe they were hoping you would take care of the bill, but you have no personal obligation to do so. If there is enough money in her estate, the bill is supposed to be paid out of estate funds.

latigo

. . . . . Your mother may have had debts at the time she died, and a company has the right to submit a request for payment to the estate to get the bill paid. Maybe they assumed you were the administrator/executor of the estate and they wanted you to know that the bill was outstanding. . . . .
Perhaps if you were to read the post more carefully you would note that we are told that the caller was unaware of the passing of the OP's mother; to-wit: " . . they didn't know she was dead."

Further, that the call informed of the intentions to file a claim against the mother and not her estate.

All of which might cause one to conclude that the caller was NOT exercising what you describe as "the right to submit a request to her estate or to an administrator/personal representative to get the bill paid"!

But you might want to tuck that observation away should an occasion arise when it might be useful.

Stephen1

I was wondering whether this was a call similar to a couple I've received where the caller says I need to call xxx-xxx-xxxx to work with them to prevent having to go to court or being arrested. It's a scam.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">