• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

domestic partners- power of atty or health care proxy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raginpeppa

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My partner and I have been together for almost 3 years.

We are both worried that if something were to happen, and she were in the hospital, unconscious, etc, that her family would not allow me in the hospital room (since they do not agree with our relationship).

If we were to get a "health-care proxy" or "medical power of attorney," we understand that medical decisions would be left up to me, but could the family still stop me from being in the hospital room?

And which do we need, health care proxy or medical power of attorney? I've researched both and read about the differences, but don't understand them. They seem the same to me.

Does this document need to be carried around at all times?

Any help would be appreciated. We are both very unclear on how this all works.

BlondiePB

If we were to get a "health-care proxy" or "medical power of attorney," we understand that medical decisions would be left up to me, but could the family still stop me from being in the hospital room?
They'd need a restraining order & it is not likely they could obtain one for a medical POA. On the other hand, remember Terri Shaivo and what her parents did even though her husband was the Health Care Surrogate?
And which do we need, health care proxy or medical power of attorney? I've researched both and read about the differences, but don't understand them. They seem the same to me.
Look in your state statutes. States vary with their terms. Some states have court ordered medical proxy's, health care surrogate, etc. There's also Advanced Directives that includes a medical POA as well as other things to be considered such as end-of-life decisions to be made by the POA.
Does this document need to be carried around at all times?
No. There are registries where the info is stored and retrievable by medical personnel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">