• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

the draining of family wealth

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thedc666

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan/California
Im making this inquiry on behalf of my wife. She and I live in Michigan since 1978. We moved hear along with her 2 daughters from California. Her father, who passed on in 2002, had put away a substantial amount of money. His wife, who is not my wife's real mom, Kept everything "for her later years". My wife's older daughter, returned to California as soon as she graduated from high school and moved in with her grand parents. She was married and has 3 daughters. she, for no apparent reason, divorced her husband, she has been steadily draining the families wealth through her sympathetic grandmother. With her influence, she has convinced her grandmother to sell her home which is paid for and to buy something "they can all live in" This poor woman will have no home very soon. There was no contingency for her to find a home of her choice before closing. she is to be 85 years come August 2008. My wife and I want to stop this robbery of this elder woman by her greedy grand daughter. This daughter has caused much pain to my wife and her brother and daughter 2. Is there a way to stop the sale of her home as we believe she is not looking forward enough in her life.

Dandy Don

Does the grandmother suffer from any type of disease or take prescription medications that would affect her judgment/mental competency? You may want to consider getting her mental competency tested with a local physician.

Does anyone know whether your daughter has acquired a signed power of attorney from the grandmother that authorizes her to handle her finances? Your wife should be checking at the grandmother's bank to see how her account is set up--does it have just the grandmother's name on it (which would be OK) or does it also have daughter's name on it as joint account co-owner?

If grandmother is of sound mind and she wishes to give away her money this way, then there is not much you can do about it. However, you should be consulting with a California family law attorney about whether your wife or some other responsible relative would want to legally acquire conservatorship and also take over her finances and also finding out what criteria would constitute elderly financial abuse and/or abuse of power of attorney. It seems like elderly financial abuse may be occurring here.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

thedc666

Does the grandmother suffer from any type of disease or take prescription medications that would affect her judgment/mental competency? You may want to consider getting her mental competency tested with a local physician.

Does anyone know whether your daughter has acquired a signed power of attorney from the grandmother that authorizes her to handle her finances? Your wife should be checking at the grandmother's bank to see how her account is set up--does it have just the grandmother's name on it (which would be OK) or does it also have daughter's name on it as joint account co-owner?

If grandmother is of sound mind and she wishes to give away her money this way, then there is not much you can do about it. However, you should be consulting with a California family law attorney about whether your wife or some other responsible relative would want to legally acquire conservatorship and also take over her finances and also finding out what criteria would constitute elderly financial abuse and/or abuse of power of attorney. It seems like elderly financial abuse may be occurring here.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])
Thank you for your reply. My and my wife's, thoughts are there is some taking advantage of hear. Are there any California attorneys you might recommend? Getting Gramma to a Dr. for that sort of an evaluation would be extremely difficult, to put it mildly

thedc666

Check the lawyer locator link on this message board.
The latest word from my wife's stepmother is that she and her brother, now 62 and 65 respectfully, is that both she and he were not father by the father they have always known. That her real mother was a wild one and she and her brother were fathered by different men. Needless to say my wife is deeply hurt and I am getting more angry with this situation as it escalates. Her step mother has been the "mom" for some 50+ years now. My wife doesn't believe she can do any thing about this. thoughts?

anteater

I don't think that you are going to get anybody here to provide speculative medical diagnoses.

Either your wife is going to do something or she isn't.

thedc666

I guess thats what Im trying to do, get her to do something. She related the Anna Nicole Smith situation yesterday and how hard the family of the elder gentleman she married tried to stop the loss of the family wealth, they lost. she feels it would not work, and just cost $ to the attorneys.

Dandy Don

So file a complaint with the police--this is elderly financial abuse. Your wife is afraid of your daughter and for some reason doesn't want her to face the consequences, but what she is doing is just plain WRONG and illegal.

Last edited:
Elder Abuse Central Intake Hotline

877-477-3646

I'm only a lay person but with a slightly similar situation my brother pulled before my mother passed. A social worked willl come out and interview both sides. Be prepared for "she said, she said" and pray.

thedc666

4 months have past. Gramma sold a very nice comfortable home in Yucipa CA to buy a 5 bedroom bohemeth that "they all could live in" $450K. She now is very unhappy. The daughter has become disrespectful and un attentive. The daughters father is now living with her boyfriend. Hum... He also never to my knowledge, has had gainful employment and has gone through I understand 3 inheritances. Gramma now pays 1/2 the mortgage payment + who knows what else. Im seeing a picture hear. After the trust is inacted there will be little cash remaining. The new house is suppose to be divided between the heirs. My belief is that there will be no chance that any court would evect the daughter and her 3 young daughters from the property. the daughter wont be paying any payments as she has no job. The rest of the heirs to protect their interest will have to pay off the mortgage. Her father, she so dearly loves ,will have a place to live for the rest of his days, free of charge. Does this seem to make since to anyone except me?

SIN EATER

I don't see where this is your business.

Maybe this granddaughter is the only one who tried to take care of granny.
Maybe granny is happier than if she were in a nursing home.

Your only concern appears to be Granny's money.

Granny can spend her $ any way she wants.

What, if anything, do you know (or care) about Granny's safety, needs, happiness, quality of life ?????
You seem to only care about the $$$

PS: It's not 'family walth'. It's Granny's wealth.

thedc666

Its my wifes fathers money as well as her money. Your right, I hate peopple stealing anything in " for the children" or "for your good" She is 86 years old and now lives in a situation whereupon she finds herself very unhappy. I am sure this was not her idea or intent. you dont have a clue whats going on hear so with out any constuctive coments, Keep it to yourself. By the way the trust has 3 others included none of which are me.

Indiana Filer

Its my wifes fathers money as well as her money. Your right, I hate peopple stealing anything in " for the children" or "for your good" She is 86 years old and now lives in a situation whereupon she finds herself very unhappy. I am sure this was not her idea or intent. you dont have a clue whats going on hear so with out any constuctive coments, Keep it to yourself. By the way the trust has 3 others included none of which are me.
No, it's not the wife's father's money. He's dead. Dead people don't own things legally. The money belongs to the old lady.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">