• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Durable Power of Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DKIS49

What is the name of your state? Ohio
My brother has a POA for my Grandfather. Using the POA he cashed in a CD of Grandpa's and used the money to purchase a car for himself, keeping the left over money from the CD also for himself. He titled the car in his name. Can he do this?

Larfa

Response to Ohio

Hi Ohio,
I can empathize. My brother got my mother ( 81) to sign a Durable power of Attorney . She to this day didn't know what she was signing.
My mother has enough short term memory loss so that she cannot live on her own. She's still perfectly lucid. I've been looking after her but I have no legal power. The whole situation is a heartache. My mother has put her trust in an abusive lunatic.
My brother is an alcoholic/drug addict, including now crystal meth. He's been in jail twice in the last 2 mos, been evicted from his apt, allowed her bills to fall into arrears and her credit rating eroded, lives off of her stock account ( he had his own POA checks made up) and allowed a lowlife scumbag "friend" to siphon 10's of thousands of dollars from her acct.
I don't know what to do. He's crazy. Now he has kidnapped her and no one knows where they are and my mother who usually calls me 86 times a day has fallen silent.
I want to somehow reverse the POA. I have two other siblings and we all agree he's off the deep end but nobody takes action. He's a sick dude and our family is supremely dysfunctional - we don't operate well as a group. I want to do what's right, but it feels like an uphill battle. It would be tragic if my mother lost her nest egg ( and us our rightful inheritance) because of this sick person.
Good luck with your problem and thanks for listening.
Good legal advice welcome!

BelizeBreeze

Hi Ohio,
I can empathize. My brother got my mother ( 81) to sign a Durable power of Attorney . She to this day didn't know what she was signing.
My mother has enough short term memory loss so that she cannot live on her own. She's still perfectly lucid. I've been looking after her but I have no legal power. The whole situation is a heartache. My mother has put her trust in an abusive lunatic.
My brother is an alcoholic/drug addict, including now crystal meth. He's been in jail twice in the last 2 mos, been evicted from his apt, allowed her bills to fall into arrears and her credit rating eroded, lives off of her stock account ( he had his own POA checks made up) and allowed a lowlife scumbag "friend" to siphon 10's of thousands of dollars from her acct.
I don't know what to do. He's crazy. Now he has kidnapped her and no one knows where they are and my mother who usually calls me 86 times a day has fallen silent.
I want to somehow reverse the POA. I have two other siblings and we all agree he's off the deep end but nobody takes action. He's a sick dude and our family is supremely dysfunctional - we don't operate well as a group. I want to do what's right, but it feels like an uphill battle. It would be tragic if my mother lost her nest egg ( and us our rightful inheritance) because of this sick person.
Good luck with your problem and thanks for listening.
Good legal advice welcome!
DO NOT HIJACK another's post.

and to DKIS49, based on the facts in your post, yes he can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">