• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Elder abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frustratedby53

Wisconsin

My father died several months ago. My mother has moved in with my sister as she needs some medication assistance and needs to have meals prepared. My sister currently has POA and I think is abusing it. My mother has asked for information on her assets, social security, and other assets and she has told me that my sister has ignored her. In addition, my sister is paying herself for my mother's care and allowing her son to live in my mother's house for free without even paying for the property tax. She is also sending my mother to day care three days per week and also starting to send her to respite. All of these costs are out of my mother's assets. Factoring in all of these costs, it is actually costing my mother more to live with my sister, then to live in an assisted living facility. (This is assuming that there isn't any other underhanded fiancial misappropriating going on, which I highly suspect) When I questioned my sister and asked for financial documents, she told me, " I have POA. If you want the information you can get a lawyer." Cleary, a reponse like this is a major red flag.
The situation is sticky as my sister has also threatened to send my mother to a nursing home if her house were to be sold. The son that is now living in my mother's house is a low income looser and would wind up moving back home. The excuse being there is not enough room for both of them (This is not true but a scare tactic they are using against my mother.) I work full time with some travel included and would not be able to have my mother move in with me.
I would like for my mother to not live with them and am currently trying to come up with alternate solutions

For the time being, I do not want my sister to continue to "rob" my mother. What immediate legal recourse do both I and my mother have to prevent this from continuing to occur? I have obtained a lawyer and we are in the process of obtaining legal documents that are currently being withheld by my sister and her lawyer. (POA, an unrecorded deed, annuity account information, and wills)

Thank you

pojo2

I have obtained a lawyer and we are in the process of obtaining legal documents that are currently being withheld by my sister and her lawyer. (POA, an unrecorded deed, annuity account information, and wills)

So what else can anyone here tell you?

You could gain guardianship of Mom if you are will to take it to court, but surely your Atty has discussed this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">