• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Elder abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

training2go

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hello,

My mothers other child has been calling protective services off and on for over a year, making claims that my mother is not eating, is being abused etc, etc. This is not true. My mother & I live in the same house. This other child has not had any contact with my mother for over 6 months, yet she called protective svcs last week again and has gone to some state level person about this.

My mother and I have both told protective svcs that these claims are not true. When they were here earlier this year, they admitted that they know that she is making this up, but their hands are tied. I thought that they would put this in the report that they claimed they were writing.

I understand what the purpose of their agency is, but in this case, "their" system is not working because they are not protecting my mother from the problem, they are going along with the problem.

This is harassment by this child. Short of moving out of the state, what can be done to have protective services stop listening (and coming to the house) to someone who is obviously deranged and just wants to continue to cause trouble?

My other concern is the stalking of this child. For no apparent reason, she drives by the house, often sitting in the car for 5-10 minutes. She also does the same thing at my mothers church. It has spooked my mother to the point where she doesn't go to church anymore.

After calling the police numerous times, they suggested that I get a restraining order. I was only able to get a temporary one. How do I go about getting one long term?

I was under the impression (prior to all of this happening) that elder laws were set up to protect the elderly, but I have found out that doesn't seem to be the case.

No matter what I say or do, there do not seem to be any laws to protect my mother from this deranged child.

Am I missing something? This is having a terrible effect on my mother and I need to find a way for it to stop.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hello,

My mothers other child has been calling protective services off and on for over a year, making claims that my mother is not eating, is being abused etc, etc. This is not true. My mother & I live in the same house. This other child has not had any contact with my mother for over 6 months, yet she called protective svcs last week again and has gone to some state level person about this.

My mother and I have both told protective svcs that these claims are not true. When they were here earlier this year, they admitted that they know that she is making this up, but their hands are tied. I thought that they would put this in the report that they claimed they were writing.

I understand what the purpose of their agency is, but in this case, "their" system is not working because they are not protecting my mother from the problem, they are going along with the problem.

This is harassment by this child. Short of moving out of the state, what can be done to have protective services stop listening (and coming to the house) to someone who is obviously deranged and just wants to continue to cause trouble?

My other concern is the stalking of this child. For no apparent reason, she drives by the house, often sitting in the car for 5-10 minutes. She also does the same thing at my mothers church. It has spooked my mother to the point where she doesn't go to church anymore.

After calling the police numerous times, they suggested that I get a restraining order. I was only able to get a temporary one. How do I go about getting one long term?

I was under the impression (prior to all of this happening) that elder laws were set up to protect the elderly, but I have found out that doesn't seem to be the case.

No matter what I say or do, there do not seem to be any laws to protect my mother from this deranged child.

Am I missing something? This is having a terrible effect on my mother and I need to find a way for it to stop.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
When a report is made to Adult Protective Services (APS), they have to investigate. It is state mandated regardless of how many times APS has already been called.

If mom is competent, have her place another restraining order on your sibling. Inquire about the RO being permanent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">