• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Elderly Grandparent Need Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

reevescy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi
I have an elderly grandparent who is being mistreated. Her daughter has Power of Attorney and we want to override this and take care of her. How do we do this?

rowz

get the services of an elder care attorney to examine the situation and see what they can tell you.

OR......see of there is an elder services department in your state or county who may be able to assist you.

reevescy

The only problem is that Social Services hasn't done anything and the 2 attorneys that I have contacted so far are extremely expensive. Does anyone know what the average cost of something like this can run?

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi
I have an elderly grandparent who is being mistreated. Her daughter has Power of Attorney and we want to override this and take care of her. How do we do this?
Does your grandparent have dementia?

reevescy

Yes she does. She signed a POA but it was when she already was doing badly. She didn't know what she signed. One attorney I contacted wanted $2500. I don't know if this is the average or not. We are trying to get Dr records that prove she wasn't able to make that choice when she signed the POA.

BlondiePB

Yes she does. She signed a POA but it was when she already was doing badly. She didn't know what she signed. One attorney I contacted wanted $2500. I don't know if this is the average or not. We are trying to get Dr records that prove she wasn't able to make that choice when she signed the POA.
Petition for guardianship over granny. $2,500 is reasonable to petition for guardianship. Ask the attorney(s) about how you can be reimbursed for this should you be appointed granny's guardian.

reevescy

We contacted a lawyer and they said the POA was not valid because she is married and that her husband would be the next of kin. Is this correct? Would we still be able to get reimbursed if she doesn't have any money? Grandma basically is living off of Social Security and she has no assets.

reevescy

Her daughter will not let her out of the house, talk to anyone and has basically cut her off from all family. So it is the isolation. She also takes all of her money and then asks others to give her money to take care of grandma's needs.

BlondiePB

We contacted a lawyer and they said the POA was not valid because she is married and that her husband would be the next of kin. Is this correct? Would we still be able to get reimbursed if she doesn't have any money? Grandma basically is living off of Social Security and she has no assets.
The POA not being valid is correct; however, it not being valid has absolutely nothing to do with granny being married.

What is grandpa doing/saying about about all this (especially about his wife being mistreated?

Grandma has no assests, but grandpa (her husband) does? :confused:

reevescy

Neither one of them has assets. They were living with us because they couldn't afford to live on Social Security. He wants his wife to be happy and taken care of. He is upset that he is unable to talk to her or spend any time with her.

BlondiePB

Neither one of them has assets. They were living with us because they couldn't afford to live on Social Security. He wants his wife to be happy and taken care of. He is upset that he is unable to talk to her or spend any time with her.
Call Adult Protective Services. Make sure that grandpa talks with the investigator too.

reevescy

We have done this also. The whole situation is crazy. We just spent 3 days trying to see grandma. Even though we are supposed to see her twice a month her daughter won't answer the door, won't answer the phone and just won't let us anywhere near grandma. I have an appointment on Tuesday but I just don't know if we can afford $3K right now. They want the retainer up front also. Her daughter also called family and said she couldn't pay the rent so she was putting her mom in a home if they didn't give her the rent money but she won't let us take her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">