• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ensuring the best medical care for my grandmother...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GEORGIA

My 83-year old grandmother was recently diagnosed with lung disease and isn't expected to survive more than six months. She was hospitalized recently and she will need 24-hour care for the remainder of her life.

My grandparents only had one child, my father. Unfortunately, since my grandfather's death in 1998, he and his wife have not properly seen to her medical care. My sister and I have been responsible for scheduling her doctor appointments, speaking with the doctors to fully understand her medical needs and discussing how she wanted to handle each situation. Again, my father is absentee with the exception of her recent hospitalization.

My grandmother HAS expressed to my sister and I that she trusts us more than she does our father in making medical arrangements and decisions. As her condition worsens, we will need the legal authority to make decisions on her behalf and access to the money needed to pay for her care.

What needs to be done to allow us to oversee and make decisions about her medical care that will supsede or void my father's ability to do so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">