• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estranged husband trying to sell friends home now that she is ill...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tabby417

What is the name of your state? I live in Tx and here is the short story. I have a close friend (we spoke & saw each other several times a day, she lives across the street) that on Jan 27th had a massive stroke. For the last 2+years her husband (legally married but has been seperated) has done nothing to help her with her home and even very little to help with her kids. This man has threatened her because she wouldn't give him her pain meds (he's a drug addict, supposedly clean for a while but I know a couple of weeks b4 she got sick he's was threatening her for meds and food), she has had us park our truck over there to appear she has company to keep him away. Anyway, now she is recovering from this stroke, she is paralyzed on teh right side and has a very hard time speaking. He is trying to sell her home (its in her name) and get rid of her things to move her into his home (from what I knkow he lives with his parents), even the hospice nurses that were here are worried he will not care for her. THey will watch & report any abuse of course but is there any way to help her keep her home & stay home like she wants? As far as I know she has no will or the like. She has 3 kids (21,18,17) whom have been promised great things when the house sells (he won't follow thru but they forget he lies I suppose) so they aren't fighting him. She would & does not want to move out of her home. She has medicare, and recieves Social Security disabliity. I appreciate any help and even teh time it took to read this post. Thank you!

seniorjudge

tabby417 said:
What is the name of your state? I live in Tx and here is the short story. I have a close friend (we spoke & saw each other several times a day, she lives across the street) that on Jan 27th had a massive stroke. For the last 2+years her husband (legally married but has been seperated) has done nothing to help her with her home and even very little to help with her kids. This man has threatened her because she wouldn't give him her pain meds (he's a drug addict, supposedly clean for a while but I know a couple of weeks b4 she got sick he's was threatening her for meds and food), she has had us park our truck over there to appear she has company to keep him away. Anyway, now she is recovering from this stroke, she is paralyzed on teh right side and has a very hard time speaking. He is trying to sell her home (its in her name) and get rid of her things to move her into his home (from what I knkow he lives with his parents), even the hospice nurses that were here are worried he will not care for her. THey will watch & report any abuse of course but is there any way to help her keep her home & stay home like she wants? As far as I know she has no will or the like. She has 3 kids (21,18,17) whom have been promised great things when the house sells (he won't follow thru but they forget he lies I suppose) so they aren't fighting him. She would & does not want to move out of her home. She has medicare, and recieves Social Security disabliity. I appreciate any help and even teh time it took to read this post. Thank you!

Have you contacted the elder abuse people in your area?

lwpat

She needs an attorney to help her with divorce papers and a will. Contact social services/elder abuse for assistance. Once he gets her out of the house he can arrange to sell it and it is unlikely he will use the money for her care or for the kids.

BlondiePB

It may be best if one of this lady's oldest child or a sibling of this lady was appointed at least a temporary guardian and have the Hospice nurses go to the court hearing to testify against the husband. There may not be time for a divorce as Hospice is in this situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">