• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exploitation of elder???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missingyou

:confused:
What is the name of your state? Florida

My elderly mother owns a home with a man who had a stroke. The mans brother obtained a power of attorney after his stroke and took him away from his home and will not allow any of friends or my mother see him. He owns 1/3 of the home. My mother is trying to purchase his portion of the home, however they will not work with her on a reasonable offer. The home is appraised at $250,000 and he is asking for $150,000. He has not paid for any of the home expenses, mortgage in over a year and did not ask for this to repaid in the settlement. I feel she is being forced into giving him a large sum of money in hopes that she will see this man again. The home is not worth this much and the brother has threatened in the past that he will take everything she owns if she does not do what he says.
Is this considered exploitation or psychological abuse on an elder person?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">