• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial POA form for Washington State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brinybay

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Why is it so difficult to find a financial POA for Washington State? I've looked at many online, but they don't address certain issues, such as utility accounts and other services (e.g. water, garbage, telephone, cable), and they include verbiage about the POA not being valid if the principal is incapacitated, or that it revokes any other POA. (Myself and two of my siblings are POA for healthcare matters that we want to leave in effect). Either that or they try to get you to buy dedicated software or pay for a subscription, which I don't think is necessary.

My elderly mother needs help monitoring her various accounts. I'm joint owner on her bank accounts (including a safe deposit box), so that's not a problem. I helped her obtain a credit report from the "big 3" credit reporting companies that shows some suspicious activity in the last few months, such as credit inquiries made by various credit card and cable companies, some of which aren't even in Washington, e.g. a credit inquiry from Comcast in Beaverton, Or. (Mom is in Washington and doesn't have cable). I suspect she may have been the victim of ID theft for services. She's agreed to give me POA to be able to act on her behalf to investigate and close any accounts that were opened using her information w/o her permission.

My mother's finances aren't complicated. She is compos mentis, lives independently on SS and various other government assistance programs. But she is frail (94) and has difficulty handling stressful matters like this. Is it ok to alter a generic POA to include the wording we need? I found some that come close to what we need, but I want to include mention of utility accounts. Thanks in advance for your help.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Why is it so difficult to find a financial POA for Washington State? I've looked at many online, but they don't address certain issues, such as utility accounts and other services (e.g. water, garbage, telephone, cable), and they include verbiage about the POA not being valid if the principal is incapacitated, or that it revokes any other POA. (Myself and two of my siblings are POA for healthcare matters that we want to leave in effect). Either that or they try to get you to buy dedicated software or pay for a subscription, which I don't think is necessary.

My elderly mother needs help monitoring her various accounts. I'm joint owner on her bank accounts (including a safe deposit box), so that's not a problem. I helped her obtain a credit report from the "big 3" credit reporting companies that shows some suspicious activity in the last few months, such as credit inquiries made by various credit card and cable companies, some of which aren't even in Washington, e.g. a credit inquiry from Comcast in Beaverton, Or. (Mom is in Washington and doesn't have cable). I suspect she may have been the victim of ID theft for services. She's agreed to give me POA to be able to act on her behalf to investigate and close any accounts that were opened using her information w/o her permission.

My mother's finances aren't complicated. She is compos mentis, lives independently on SS and various other government assistance programs. But she is frail (94) and has difficulty handling stressful matters like this. Is it ok to alter a generic POA to include the wording we need? I found some that come close to what we need, but I want to include mention of utility accounts. Thanks in advance for your help.
Yes, its fine to use a canned POA as a template to customize one that fits your needs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">