• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

General Power Of Attorney Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmaunz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was given a General Power of Attorney for a friend who was deploying with instructions to bring his gf to NY. I was doing that, but, made an error in his check register and thought there was more money in the account, due to this checks had bounced and two accounts went into the negative, I paid the checks, and the negative account and am still paying on one negative account out of my pocket, his chain of command told him I was stealing his money and he could have me arrested, at that time I resigned as his POA and have had nothing to do with his account, they also told him if I signed his name to checks he could have me arrested for forgery. I have spoken to many people and they have said I did nothing wrong, even when I paid myself out of his account for money he owed to me, and sent me instant messages saying it was ok to pay myself back, but, his command is saying he can have me arrested for stealing and for forgery, can he do that? Others say no because he gave me GPOA? I was also told this would be a civil suit not a criminal suit but I see online that alot of people get arrested for this, for buying houses, cars, spending their money on vacations, I obviously didn't buy any of the sort, but, I"m still worried because what everyone tells me contradicts what I'm reading.

Also, all of this happened a year ago...is there a time line on something like this?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Double post warning

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was given a General Power of Attorney for a friend who was deploying with instructions to bring his gf to NY. I was doing that, but, made an error in his check register and thought there was more money in the account, due to this checks had bounced and two accounts went into the negative, I paid the checks, and the negative account and am still paying on one negative account out of my pocket, his chain of command told him I was stealing his money and he could have me arrested, at that time I resigned as his POA and have had nothing to do with his account, they also told him if I signed his name to checks he could have me arrested for forgery. I have spoken to many people and they have said I did nothing wrong, even when I paid myself out of his account for money he owed to me, and sent me instant messages saying it was ok to pay myself back, but, his command is saying he can have me arrested for stealing and for forgery, can he do that? Others say no because he gave me GPOA? I was also told this would be a civil suit not a criminal suit but I see online that alot of people get arrested for this, for buying houses, cars, spending their money on vacations, I obviously didn't buy any of the sort, but, I"m still worried because what everyone tells me contradicts what I'm reading.

Also, all of this happened a year ago...is there a time line on something like this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">