• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Georgia nursing home/medicaid/property questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brenday

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia - My father in law recently was hospitalized due to his mental state as a result of Parkinsons and dementia. While in ICU for 12 days he lost a lot of weight and ability to walk or care for his self. He was recently placed in a rehab nursing home for 100 days which medicare and secondary insurance covers. If unable to recover physically he is facing long term care. The home is in his and my mother in law's name. The home was originally purchased by my mother in law and my husband's father. His father died when he was a minor (8) and was left to him and his mom. At age 18 they had him sign it over so his step dad could be added but was always told it would be left to him. It is currently in the will that he gets the home and his stepdad's kids split the savings. They have approx 20k in savings. If he must stay long term they are planning to apply for medicaid. My question is can the home be transferred back to just his wife so she can still have it willed to my husband? My husband is unable to work and is applying for ssi. We have lived with them for several years and have helped care for them both. I am unable to afford housing and we were depending on this inheritance as our home. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

violas

I am not a lawyer. My guess is that it is too late to make changes. Don't count on getting the house. After the person dies, medicaid will take the house to repay those costs.

Ozark_Sophist

I am not a lawyer. My guess is that it is too late to make changes. Don't count on getting the house. After the person dies, medicaid will take the house to repay those costs.
Generally yes, but this case may be different. It is too late to avoid the look back provisions of asset recovery, but because of family member with a disability living in the home, OP may fall into an exception.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">