• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandfather's Stocks & POA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thisissuzy

Hi everyone! I'm new here and have a question. I am the only surviving decendent of my grandfather. He died in 1986 (in New Jersey) and I am still recieving stock dividend checks in his name. I live in Alaska now, but my Stepmother lives at my-and my grandfather's-old residence. She forwards me the checks, but I do not cash them because I do not have POA over his estate. Grandfather died with a will, leaving everything to my Mother. Mother died without a will when I was 12. Everything went into an estate, with my Father and I each getting half. Dad died two years ago, leaving everything to my Stepmother. Through all these events, no one bothered to do anything with my Grandfather's stocks. Now, I want to have these stocks in my name, as I can use the dividend money. Stepmother has agreed she has no interest in these stocks and they should be mine now.
My question is: Given the history, what do I need to do in order to gain control of the stocks? What paperwork do I need to have, what is the process and how much might it cost?

Many thanks in advance!

-Suzy

BlondiePB

Given the history, what do I need to do in order to gain control of the stocks? What paperwork do I need to have, what is the process and how much might it cost?
Consult with an attorney in NJ.

Dandy Don

Go to the county courthouse and look at your grandfather's probate file to find out who the executor of his estate was and his address/phone. If that executor is still alive, notify him about this so that he can handle it for you, since he is the one with the legal authority to do so. He can notify the company holding the stock that you are perhaps the legal heir and can direct them to send the monies to your address, or HE can accept the monies to distribute to you.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

BlondiePB

Dandy Don said:
Go to the county courthouse and look at your grandfather's probate file to find out who the executor of his estate was and his address/phone. If that executor is still alive, notify him about this so that he can handle it for you, since he is the one with the legal authority to do so. He can notify the company holding the stock that you are perhaps the legal heir and can direct them to send the monies to your address, or HE can accept the monies to distribute to you.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])
Alaska is a very long, long way from NJ.

Dandy Don

Obviously if she can't visit the courthouse she can call them or write them to get copies of the documents she needs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">