• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmothers Will: Please Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChristmanJ

What is the name of your state? California

My grandmother was diagnosed with dementia a little over a year ago and was put into an Alzheimer’s facility. The nastiest cheapest facility you could imagine. My Step-Grandfather found a will my Grandmother had done behind his back. He was very angry and I believe he threw it away.

When my Grandfather put my Grandmother in a home he tried manipulating his assist to put my Grandmother on Medical. My Grandparents were slightly well off. He wanted to save the money and travel. He took everything and put it into his name and left my Grandmother with nothing.

Long story short my Grandmother past away 11/19/2006, she broke her hip about 2 weeks ago and went down hill fast. My Grandfather was aware but would rather be on vacation in his new motor home. He didn’t even come say good bye. He’s still on “vacation” today. My mother and I just found out that she is going to be cremated. He of course picked the cheapest package possible. My grandmother NEVER wanted to be cremated. He had power of attorney and I believe signed the paper work for her. There’s no way she could have signed it. He’s not even holding a memorial for her. It’s really sad.

My question… Is it possible there is another copy of the will? Is what he did illegal? Should I do anything?

Betty

How do you know about the will (that there was one) that grandma made behind step-grandfather's back & that he found it & threw it away. Do you know the lawyer who may have made up this will for grandma? He should have a copy.

ChristmanJ

How are you saying that he accomplished this?
I can honestly say I don't know how he did it. I do know that he told me he did it. He even took her name off the house. I know he had POA.

This is such a long and horrible story. He was so awful to my Grandmother.

ChristmanJ

How do you know about the will (that there was one) that grandma made behind step-grandfather's back & that he found it & threw it away. Do you know the lawyer who may have made up this will for grandma? He should have a copy.
He admitted it to my mother. A little after he put my grandmother into a home he was going through her stuff. He found the will in a closet hidden. He called my mother in a rage telling her about it. I don't think he thought about what he was saying to my mom. The man only has a 6th grade education. Not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.What was sad is he got rid of all her belongings before she even passed away. How sick is that? My God I hate this man.

I don't know who my Grandmother went to for the will. They lived in a really small town so it shouldn't be hard finding out.

nextwife

You do realize that if they were always married to each other, she may never have had any seperately titled assets, and their home was probably always titled Jointly, which meant that it may have automatically become the property of the co-owner upon death of the otther owner? Was Grandma married previously or did she have a career or assets BEFORE this marriage?

You certainly can check the title records to see what the ownership history of the house may have been, in addition to the previous suggestions.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">