• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! They Kidnapped Grandma!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kimberly Crisp

I live in Nevada, Grandma lives in California
Here is the problem, my mother told me on january 31st that my aunt was going to put grandma in an assisted living home soon, grandma is 84 an getting a little confused. I had made plans with grandma previously to come down for easter to visit and at that time she was also going to give me her car. well mom told me I better come sooner than easter as they were putting her in assisted live soon. I called grandma an she told me she did not want to do that, she has told me many times previously she would like to live with me. she and I get along very well. and always have, which is not the case with her 2 daughters (my mom and aunt)
mom moved into her house durring the summer to care for her, Grandma told me she was never there to care for her, mom would leave in the morning an not come home till late everyday. grandma was mad an told her so, mom blew up and moved out, and left her all alone. grandma would try and call her to tell her she had mail an such, but mom would not answer her calls.
I keep trying to call grandma, no answer. nobody has bothered to call me and tell me where my grandma is. at this point the only info I have is moms e-mail but she wont answer my e-mails.
I am going down to california on thursday. I plan on calling every assisted live home till I find her.
first...is it legal for them to just take grandma an not let the family know where she is?
second...I'd like to take grandma home with me, can I do that?
third...what do I need to do to get guardianship of grandma at this point?
forth...if its ok to take her home with me, do I need to challenge to take her to my home in nevada in her own car?
how would I get access to her medical so that I know what meds she needs and such?
I'm thinking for my aunt to put her in assisted living, my aunt must have guardianship and I believe she has had power of attorny for a few years.
thanks
Kim

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in Nevada, Grandma lives in California
Here is the problem, my mother told me on january 31st that my aunt was going to put grandma in an assisted living home soon, grandma is 84 an getting a little confused. I had made plans with grandma previously to come down for easter to visit and at that time she was also going to give me her car. well mom told me I better come sooner than easter as they were putting her in assisted live soon. I called grandma an she told me she did not want to do that, she has told me many times previously she would like to live with me. she and I get along very well. and always have, which is not the case with her 2 daughters (my mom and aunt)
mom moved into her house durring the summer to care for her, Grandma told me she was never there to care for her, mom would leave in the morning an not come home till late everyday. grandma was mad an told her so, mom blew up and moved out, and left her all alone. grandma would try and call her to tell her she had mail an such, but mom would not answer her calls.
I keep trying to call grandma, no answer. nobody has bothered to call me and tell me where my grandma is. at this point the only info I have is moms e-mail but she wont answer my e-mails.
I am going down to california on thursday. I plan on calling every assisted live home till I find her.
first...is it legal for them to just take grandma an not let the family know where she is?
second...I'd like to take grandma home with me, can I do that?
third...what do I need to do to get guardianship of grandma at this point?
forth...if its ok to take her home with me, do I need to challenge to take her to my home in nevada in her own car?
how would I get access to her medical so that I know what meds she needs and such?
I'm thinking for my aunt to put her in assisted living, my aunt must have guardianship and I believe she has had power of attorny for a few years.
thanks
Kim
You don't even SEE grandma on a regular basis. You have no basis to see any of the information you are asking about. Furthermore, you have articulated NO reason for you to seek guardianship.

If you REALLY think something is wrong, call the local (to your grandma's residence) police and talk to them...

Country Living

I had made plans with grandma previously to come down for easter to visit and at that time she was also going to give me her car.
Getting Grandma's car is important to you.

my aunt was going to put grandma in an assisted living home soon, grandma is 84 an getting a little confused.
It's good your aunt has your grandmother's best interests at heart. A lot of older people don't like being uprooted from the home they've always known to a strange place. It's natural for Grandma to be upset. Her confusion is only going to get worse with time.

You used the word "I' seventeen times. I wonder if you would be so upset if the car had never been discussed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">