• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can we help our mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Ohio (I live in NY, but my mom is in Ohio)

This is a brief history: my mother has always dealt with SEVERE depression my whole life. In the last 3-4 years things have gone downhill quickly. She had a back surgery, quit working completely, started taking many many pain pills from several different dr.'s, had an affair with a man in prison, stole money from my father (they are still married) without his knowledge, used mine and my sister's name to open credit cards, etc...when she was starting the affair to buy him things and get a house for them to move into once released. None of that happened b/c we found letters, etc...and found out where she was and got her home, she began counseling.

Last year a dr. prescribed her more meds including oxycotin 20 mg and she takes 2 at a time, many times with other meds such as vicoden, sleeping pills and tons more, muscle relaxers,etc...My father makes excuses for her, saying "well she is in pain from the surgery 4 yrs ago" I'm a nurse and I know 100% she's addicted to all of it. My main concern at this point is I just visited them, she's completely out of it mentally, she's driving like she's drunk, she can't complete sentances, she can not even screw a water bottle lid on her drink, she spills things, runs into walls, just completely gone. I sat with my father and told him she needs to be in a rehab or something to either find out why the pain is still bad, and wean her off the meds. Of course hippa doesn't let me speak to her dr's about her, my dad doesn't want her to be in a rehad b/c of "embarrassment" Mean time she's driving, she will kill herself, or others on the road.

Is there anything legally I can do to get her some help??? MY sister is currently living in Ohio and feels the same way, what can we do to help her??

BlondiePB

blackcloud312 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio (I live in NY, but my mom is in Ohio)

This is a brief history: my mother has always dealt with SEVERE depression my whole life. In the last 3-4 years things have gone downhill quickly. She had a back surgery, quit working completely, started taking many many pain pills from several different dr.'s, had an affair with a man in prison, stole money from my father (they are still married) without his knowledge, used mine and my sister's name to open credit cards, etc...when she was starting the affair to buy him things and get a house for them to move into once released. None of that happened b/c we found letters, etc...and found out where she was and got her home, she began counseling.

Last year a dr. prescribed her more meds including oxycotin 20 mg and she takes 2 at a time, many times with other meds such as vicoden, sleeping pills and tons more, muscle relaxers,etc...My father makes excuses for her, saying "well she is in pain from the surgery 4 yrs ago" I'm a nurse and I know 100% she's addicted to all of it. My main concern at this point is I just visited them, she's completely out of it mentally, she's driving like she's drunk, she can't complete sentances, she can not even screw a water bottle lid on her drink, she spills things, runs into walls, just completely gone. I sat with my father and told him she needs to be in a rehab or something to either find out why the pain is still bad, and wean her off the meds. Of course hippa doesn't let me speak to her dr's about her, my dad doesn't want her to be in a rehad b/c of "embarrassment" Mean time she's driving, she will kill herself, or others on the road.

Is there anything legally I can do to get her some help??? MY sister is currently living in Ohio and feels the same way, what can we do to help her??
Call Adult Protective Services in the county where she lives who will do an investigation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">