• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do nonlawyers select attorneys?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cctimber

What is the name of your state? I live in Texas but this situation will take place in Indiana.
How do most people find a good attorney to work for them? Since we live in another state, we have tried the internet search,and found one that we really like by his profile. Is there another instrument to use?We are talking about a sizable estate(sizable to me anyeway)We need someone knowledgeable of the intricasies of living wills,fidiciary duties of trustee,etc.

las365

In Texas, you can go on the State Bar's website and check whether the lawyer has any public reprimands or disciplnary action (you may be able to see whether/how many grievances have been filed, I can't remember). Perhaps Indiana's State Bar has a similar service.

You could look at public probate court records in the county where the Estate will be filed and see which attorneys' names are most frequently on cases. That might show you a level of experience, but wouldn't indicate skill.

In my opinion, the best way to select an attorney is a combination of a referral from someone who has used the lawyer and been satisfied, and a personal consultation to gather information and make your own decision. You can ask if the attorney has clients who are willing to give a reference (but that is iffy due to confidentiality).

Ask friends, family and colleagues for the names of lawyers they have used. If you have a general counsel at work, ask him/her.

While it would obviously be quickest to get the names of probate, estate planning, etc. lawyers, don't be afraid to ask for lawyers who are either generalists and/or business lawyers. Ask your friends/family/colleagues to ask those lawyers for referrals. Lawyers are asked frequently for referrals to other disciplines, and most maintain a list of people they trust.

Once you have a short list of lawyers, call and ask if they will provide a free consultation. Go in person and visit the lawyer; this will help you know if you are comfortable with their style/approach and could work with them. Be sure and ask all your questions:

- what is the fee structure? hourly fees, contingency, lump sum? Is a retainer required?
- who will be working on your matter? How do they use paralegals or younger associates to push down the work to the level that makes the most sense? What are the billing rates for those individuals?
- how do they communicate - phone, letter, e-mail, and how often?
- how often do they handle cases that are similar to yours?

Do not use an internet search; often, lawyers pay for advertising or to make their information "pop up".

las365

Texas Pooh, your list of questions to ask is excellent.

I do disagree, however, with your advice to avoid looking for attorneys on the internet. The particulars of paid spots vs. organic listings aside, having an internet ad or a webste is not an indication that an attorney or law firm isn't good. It's a reality of communication in today's world.

Attorney websites are certainly a good source of information about the firm and the type of cases they handle. I'm particularly fond of those websites that include FAQ or links to basic legal information. I'd agree that checking out a website after receiving a referral makes sense.

My caution has more to do with being influenced by ads, or listing on particular websites, or feeling that only a firm with a fancy website is a "good lawyer". But, as with most things on this forum, that's just my humble opinion.

BlondiePB

Attorney websites are certainly a good source of information about the firm and the type of cases they handle. I'm particularly fond of those websites that include FAQ or links to basic legal information. I'd agree that checking out a website after receiving a referral makes sense.

My caution has more to do with being influenced by ads, or listing on particular websites, or feeling that only a firm with a fancy website is a "good lawyer". But, as with most things on this forum, that's just my humble opinion.
I'd like to add to your list from my list:

Stay away from attorneys that advertise on TV. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">