• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I think my aunt is trying to pull a fast one

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BLAZEST0NE

My father had recently passed away from a stroke due to kidney failure. I lived with him off and on for 10 years and for the final 5 years of his life I assisted him with daily transportation to places he needed to go to, his dialysis and doctor appointments also did daily chores to make it easier to care for himself on his own. As his condition diminished the gas was shut off which made it very uncomfortable for my Father to live well so my aunt had told him to move into the front house with her. I would not see him as much but I did check on him now and then.

The night before he self checked himself into the hospital I had talked to him for a while and he seemed a little better that he was over there. The next morning I was told that he checked himself in the hospital so I called them and asked how he was, the nurse said that he was doing better. This isn't the 1st time he checked himself in so I knew that he would be home soon as before.. approximately 2 days after admission I was told by my cousin that he had a stroke and couldn't talk anymore. So I went straight down there that night to see him. I indeed saw that My Dad couldn't talk, so i visited with him a little and he was trying to tell me something where his lips trembled, but he got frustrated and covered his face.. I think he didn't want me to see him like that..So I stood there until he fell asleep.

I decided to leave but first I asked the head nurse how were my Fathers vitals, blood pressure etc. The nurse told me that they were good and they were going to transfer him to Kindred Senior Hospital because he was well enough not to be in the hospital but not well enough to go home.. I went home and the morning after my aunt comes to the door and told me my Dad had passed away at Kindred.. She gives me a little pep talk, some fake tears a hug and then goes about her business... three days later they decide to creamate my Father, they do so, place him in a box, then let me see and hold him. STILL he sits there in my aunts glass display case.

In November my aunt comes to me and gives me a verbal notice for me to move in 90 days. She told me that She intends to sell both houses on the property because there are to much painfull memories here. I ask my cousin to tell her that I need to see My Fathers Last Will and Testament. My cousin comes back and tells me that she is going to have a reading for the family after a mourning period which I agreed.. Now here I am with a verbal notice from my aunt telling me to move and I can have My Dads Truck and 5th Wheel Trailer to leave but not before she tells me that its my fault that My Dad passed away and if I would have taken better care of him he would still be alive...HOW CRUEL ... I wasn't his caretaker, he was still able to function but a little slow. I STILL HAVE NOT SEEN HIS WILL. I also stumbled across his bank statement since I get mail here too...they were constantly checking the mail prior to me getting the statement. Before the statement My Father had an open account with at least a few thousand in his account.. The statement said that he had NOTHING but a 0.00 in every category.. The account was at a zero balance but not closed.

I know that there is something going on here. See if my aunt owns both houses on the property she is .5 million dollars richer. She thinks that I am a passive person and wont fight...Since I came to live with my Dad my aunt has always had some bitter feelings toward me since I am MY Fathers ONLY Next Of Kin and that I would most likely inherit the house. She told me that he didn't leave me or his grandchildren anything and she decided to give me My Fathers truck and trailer so I could move.. If those are My Dads wishes then I will honor them..

My Father was also very heavily medicated. He was in constant pain in which he had to take Codene #6 and Oxycodone(NORCOS) daily and also when he saw his doctor he always asked him for a "Feel Good Shot" as my Father put it.. 30 min later the shot would kick in and he would loose balance where he couldn't walk, so I had to get a wheelchair. He was always in a dream like state where he didn't know where he was or if he had given any of his family any money or how he got there he mumbled and slurred like he was drunk and often sat there saying things that didn't make sense with his wallet out telling someone to go to the store for him when me and him just got back from the store. It was very easily for someone to take advantage of My Dad when he was at this state which lasted around 6 hrs or until he passed out often with some of his things in his hands.

I find it hard to believe that My Father would not leave his only Son or his Grandchildren anything.. I am not after My Fathers House or belongings.. I'm after Justice and Dignity on my part since my aunt is trying to make me leave. His bank account, he was highly medicated, and the fact the last two months of My Dads Life he was under my aunts care.. I believe in My heart and soul that there is something not right here.. Please let me know what steps I need to take to stay and not to be strong armed to move from where I have lived for the past 10 years with My Father and that his wishes are properly honored and respected. DO I have any rights or can I have legal assistance in seeing My Dads Last Will and Testament, and if there is a will and everything that my aunt says is true on paper can I Still contest it for alterations without offending anyone if possible. I thank you from the bottom of my heart, I would appreciate any legal advice that you can give me, and I commend you if you have read this long post. I appologize regarding this formatting, I am using a TV Browser an options are limited. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

She has no right to tell you to do anything until she is appointed by a court to probate the estate. You may then ask to see the will. I suggest you go to the recorders office and see how the house(s) are titled currently. Come back when you discover if those things have been done. You should also talk to a probate lawyer as it appears she is trying to take the estate.

BLAZEST0NE

He was not responsible and had a bucket list in his last days.

Why was the gas shut off? Did you pay rent to live there? Why wasn't that bill paid?

Hello Eekamouse are you the Reggae Artist ?? Thank you for your concern... THE gas has been shut off for about 2 years. My Father was smart and full of knowledge, but not very disiplined when it came down to paying bills...Since he knew he was dying he had a Bucket List and did lots of things irresponsibly. One of those was. neglecting the bills when they should have been paid.. YES I Paid Rent to him every month and I always bought food for us (allways special orders for my Dad.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">