• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I think my father stole my money and lost his and all of mine!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frenchtoast

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts and Maine law needed

This is a long story that is very complicated and I will try my best to keep it as simple as possible. I currently live in Massachusetts for the last 18 months as does my father but the rest of this story all happened in Maine so help with Maine law is also needed.
I think my father embezzled my money and his own money has disappeared. My mother was killed by a drunk driver in Maine and my father received a lot of money as a settlement. I am medically disabled so I had to sign off on the agreement too. Some of the money was meant for me legally as part of the settlement. I was also co owner of the house we lived in along with him I was there and signed at the closing of the house in Maine when purchased.
As far as I knew we had over $650,000 invested with my uncle as the stock broker and the investment was doing very well. My father started acting strange over time putting our drunk cleaning lady money and putting her in the will for $10,000.
I was very very stupid-which I now regret and never looked at things I was signing. I don't know if I signed anything over to him except the house to get a reverse mortgage. All I got was a verbal promise to benefit from the invested money from the reverse mortgage.
Years went by and I left the country to study part time abroad. I got a phone call from my father saying that we are both broke now and suggested that I become a prostitute! I had to come back to America and chase off the alcoholic cleaning lady and other neighbors around him.
My father forged my name to a car sale agreement over a car in my name only! He admitted this to me.
He turn the house over to the state and we both moved in with his older sister who is odd and angry but not as crazy as he is. She thinks I stole my father's money and spent it all while I was out of the country. All my family think this! I actually am used to living modestly so I was always pinching pennies even while I was in another country a student. I never spent more than about $30,000 a year during the 2 years abroad and even less while I was in the country over the last 10 years. My father wasn't living the high life either he never bought any fancy cars or took vacations and the house was all paid for.
My father has done more things over the last few months like pee on the bathroom floor when he was angry with me so I moved out with a friend so I really do think something is wrong with him mentally.
Recently at Thanksgiving, my uncle who was our stockbroker commented that he was so glad my father got out of the stock market when he did and that he really saved a bundle! (-What bundle? My father said he was broke because he refused to believe the market went into a recession and lost it all! But my uncle his stock broker thinks my dad saved a bundle!) I also think that my uncle either has seen paperwork or has made himself believe that I am not a party to any of this money that was invested through him.
How do I find out what happened to this money? I am enrolled in a professional degree program and I won't have any money for 3 or more years even if I do find employment! Did my father embezzle it? Was he scammed out of it? Did he forget where he hid it?
What papers do I need to collect? Do I go to the police? Do the police have to threaten him with prison to get out the details of what happened? Do I go to legal aid? What should I do to undo any of this or at least find out what happened to the lost money?
If we find it after my dad dies how do I get to inherit it? Shouldn't I be listed somehow legally as his biggest creditor and that he is in debt to me for several hundred thousand dollars?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">