• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inheritance is it worth it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kiki555

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? texas
not sure under what heading this shld be posted...but, my mother will have been gone 2yrs this nov...and to this date i have not recved my inheritance (no idea of amount) my sister (executor) and i had a real bad falling out during and after my mothers death..i have written and she writes back..no can have..don't know if she spent it or what..she works in the office of a criminal lawyer and is not a very nice person(smokes weed and does drugs).and she says her boss is aware of what she does..i don't know what to do from here..mother lived and died in arizona and she's in san jose ca. and i'm texas..do i have any options..or must i get a lawyer and fight her..don't know if amt is worth it..is there a time period..any advise .. i could use some help...thx

Dandy Don

Do you know for sure or not whether your mother had a will?

Since you know what city she died in, contact the county courthouse probate court (they may even have records online--do a GOOGLE for that county) and do a search by name to see if there is a probate file for her. If there is you can order a copy of the probate file to see exactly how the probate was handled.

If there was probate you would normally have been notified by now. If you know that sister is deliberately withholding a will and if there are assets still to be divided, consult a probate attorney to determine if you should open up probate yourself.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

kiki555

thx for the reply..yes there is a will and i have a copy..things were to be divided 3 ways and she refused to say what was in the bank cking/savings/cd's and what kind if insurance mother had and how much she sold my moms place for...she is delibertly holding back my inheritance and won't say how much and i'v got no way to know for sure what is an equal portion..i don't have a lot of savings , so an attny (and as is said she works for one) will probably cost lots .. i've also heard that i wld nn and attny from the state of arizona..?..

Dandy Don

Stop assuming that an attorney will cost lots of money. That is NOT true.

It will be very easy for you or your attorney to open up probate and ask the judge to ask sister to produce the will. And your first consultation with the attorney will be free or very inexpensive to get your questions answered about how you should proceed. If you don't do anything you get nothing.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

kiki555

thanks again don.. I know an atny's 1st visit is usually free.. but do i nn and attny/lawyer in arizona or shld i just find one in texas..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">