• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance premiums paid for 2+ yrs after death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carolahb

What is the name of your state? VA
After reviewing my mother's cancelled checks I realized that for several years, she was paying for 2 different medicare supplement policies with AFLAC. Upon further investigation, it appears that she was paying my father's premium (he died in '03) as well as her own. I found a letter from AFLAC referencing a cancer policy acknowledging that they were informed of my father's death, so I am quite sure she notified them about cancelling the medicare supplement. My question is: shouldn't she be due a refund of the money paid for a deceased claimant? She called and told them she was paying for 2 policies (at that time, I thought she was getting dulicate coverage) and they are no longer billing her for the second policy. When she initially called, the customer service rep said she was due a refund. When the refund never came, she talked to someone else who said she was not. We're not talking peanuts here - about $5,000.

Dandy Don

Find the website for the Virginia Insurance Commissioner and file a complaint with his agency by certified letter or phone call and they will investigate and this insurance company will fall all over itself getting the refund issued. Best of luck for standing up for what is right.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">