• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint banking account with son - general power of attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BOATY

Arizona

i am 89 years old and my son has power of attorney. However, my question is this: In the event he is sued or files for bankruptcy - if he is listed on my bank account - will my funds be wiped out? IF THAT IS THE CASE - THEN IS THERE A LEGAL WAY TO ALLOW HIM TO PAY BILLS AFTER I DIE - WITHOUT HIM BEING ON MY ACCOUNT. IF SO - WHAT IS THAT. THANKS!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The power of attorney is no longer valid once you pass. Any money in any accounts that he is an owner of is subject to the "rules" relating to bankruptcy.

Your son would need to be appointed executor of your estate. That can be done via a will. You can also explore the options with a trust.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">