• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

joint tenancy and bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laanmo

What is the name of your state?
Colorado

I would appreciate direction for the following situation:

My husband and I are going to purchase (either outright or through joint tenancy) my mom's home; mom will continue to live with us.

Home is worth approx. $300,000, and has $150,000 mortgage; our plan is to refinance the debt in our name if we transact as outright purchase, or with my income only, if we transact w/joint tenancy.

Mom has approx. $25,000 in credit card debt, receives approx. $950/mo. in SS benefits, and has no other income (only adt'l asset is her personal vehicle, 1995 Jeep Cherokee in fair condition), no life insurance, no pension... We're considering advising Mom to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy, but need to know:
- Can the Court can force the sale of her home during Chapter 7 liquidation, if the home is held in joint tenancy (with me)?
- Can the individual creditors attach a lien to my Mom's interest in the home if it's held in joint tenancy?

We are aware that, if we transact w/outright purchase, we are putting Mom at risk of not being eligible for MCAID should she ever require long term care (she's 70, and has a history of high blood pressure, but it is being controlled w/medication) with in the "lookback period", and we're pricing long term care insurance to cover (or least offset) this risk. However, if we do transact w/an outright purchase, Mom doesn't have any assets, or interest in an asset that a creditor can attach to...in that case, couldn't we just not file a bankruptcy and advise the creditors to kiss off:eek: ?

FYI, we're in the process of validating the debt; cardholder was my dad and he just passed away after a battle w/Parkinson's and several strokes...if Mom wasn't a cardholder/signer on the application, does the debt die w/my Dad? Also, Dad's name was removed from the deed on the home (just) prior to his death, as we had begun working w/an attorney on a purchase plan for the home, that would not affect Dad's MCAID (he was in a nursing home for the past 3 years, and MCAID was covering those costs).

Please advise if I've left out any pertinant info - and thanks for your time/help:DWhat is the name of your state?

BlondiePB

laanmo said:
What is the name of your state?
Colorado

I would appreciate direction for the following situation:

My husband and I are going to purchase (either outright or through joint tenancy) my mom's home; mom will continue to live with us.

Home is worth approx. $300,000, and has $150,000 mortgage; our plan is to refinance the debt in our name if we transact as outright purchase, or with my income only, if we transact w/joint tenancy.

Mom has approx. $25,000 in credit card debt, receives approx. $950/mo. in SS benefits, and has no other income (only adt'l asset is her personal vehicle, 1995 Jeep Cherokee in fair condition), no life insurance, no pension... We're considering advising Mom to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy, but need to know:
- Can the Court can force the sale of her home during Chapter 7 liquidation, if the home is held in joint tenancy (with me)?
- Can the individual creditors attach a lien to my Mom's interest in the home if it's held in joint tenancy?

We are aware that, if we transact w/outright purchase, we are putting Mom at risk of not being eligible for MCAID should she ever require long term care (she's 70, and has a history of high blood pressure, but it is being controlled w/medication) with in the "lookback period", and we're pricing long term care insurance to cover (or least offset) this risk. However, if we do transact w/an outright purchase, Mom doesn't have any assets, or interest in an asset that a creditor can attach to...in that case, couldn't we just not file a bankruptcy and advise the creditors to kiss off:eek: ?

FYI, we're in the process of validating the debt; cardholder was my dad and he just passed away after a battle w/Parkinson's and several strokes...if Mom wasn't a cardholder/signer on the application, does the debt die w/my Dad? Also, Dad's name was removed from the deed on the home (just) prior to his death, as we had begun working w/an attorney on a purchase plan for the home, that would not affect Dad's MCAID (he was in a nursing home for the past 3 years, and MCAID was covering those costs).

Please advise if I've left out any pertinant info - and thanks for your time/help:DWhat is the name of your state?
1. By what legal authorization are YOU planning to file bankruptcy for your mother?

2. Do you know what conversion is? I suggest you look it up.

3. Dad's estate is responsible for his bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">