• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

jtwros

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rosie5

What is the name of your state? pennsylvania
my mother has been living with me for 3.5yrs. her bank accounts were set up with my name along with 2 other siblings as well with hers with jtwros. my mother also paid for the addition to our home needed for her to live her with us. my mother has dementia and is now being moved to a nursing home facility. my siblings are now requesting receipts and records of her accounts on the money that we spent here in caring for her. my mother does not need to provide any past documentation at this point since she has enough money to pay for her own private care over the course of the next 5 or more years. am i legally responsible to provide any financial documentation to my family as i do not have any receipts that would completely satisfy every dime that was spent. there was no written or verbal agreement that i would pay back any money that she spent on the impovements made or alterations done to our home after she passed or moved out. my brother who has dpoa, agreed to compensate me for her care along with her expenses in living here since i was unable to seek employment outside of the home while she was here, again this was not legally documented either. is it necessary for me to seek legal counsel as i was threatened to be taking to court by some people in my family?

BelizeBreeze

my mother has been living with me for 3.5yrs. her bank accounts were set up with my name along with 2 other siblings as well with hers with jtwros. my mother also paid for the addition to our home needed for her to live her with us. my mother has dementia and is now being moved to a nursing home facility. my siblings are now requesting receipts and records of her accounts on the money that we spent here in caring for her. my mother does not need to provide any past documentation at this point since she has enough money to pay for her own private care over the course of the next 5 or more years. am i legally responsible to provide any financial documentation to my family as i do not have any receipts that would completely satisfy every dime that was spent. there was no written or verbal agreement that i would pay back any money that she spent on the impovements made or alterations done to our home after she passed or moved out. my brother who has dpoa, agreed to compensate me for her care along with her expenses in living here since i was unable to seek employment outside of the home while she was here, again this was not legally documented either. is it necessary for me to seek legal counsel as i was threatened to be taking to court by some people in my family?
Tell the family that you have no legal obligation to report to them and if they think differently, they are welcome to file a lawsuit seeking such information.

As was stated before, you have no legal obligation to your siblings (or anyone else for that matter) on how either you or your mother spent your funds. That said, all joint owners of a bank account do have the right to see the accountings for those accounts.

BelizeBreeze

As was stated before, you have no legal obligation to your siblings (or anyone else for that matter) on how either you or your mother spent your funds. That said, all joint owners of a bank account do have the right to see the accountings for those accounts.
Agreed, but the poster can still tell them to 'BITE ROCKS' and they can get the information from the bank ;)

rosie5

the problem is that i paid for all my mothers expenses and drew the money to which i was being compensated for to pay one credit card every month. i cannot differientate which actual expenses where my mom's or mine, as i paid for everything together. i was not asked to keep receipts, i was not asked to provide invoices. i was not given a set amount of money that i could use, i was told by my brother dpoa, to use whatever i needed, which i believe i stayed within a responsible financial parameter for her care and expenses.
in attending seminars for caregivers i became aware that such should be the case if and when my mom would require to apply for medicaid assistance in the event her monies did not last. hence i explained this to my brother and we went to an elder care attorney who explained to us what we needed to do to accomplish this, which we were suppose to begin this month. now after the fact of learning this i am trying to justify the monies i spent down to the last penny to my family. i cannot give such precise information because i did not do what should have been done years ago, it is not that i do not want to. yet i am being threatened by my siblings that they will seek legal action. which is why i asked the question do they have a case against me?

BelizeBreeze

the problem is that i paid for all my mothers expenses and drew the money to which i was being compensated for to pay one credit card every month. i cannot differientate which actual expenses where my mom's or mine, as i paid for everything together. i was not asked to keep receipts, i was not asked to provide invoices. i was not given a set amount of money that i could use, i was told by my brother dpoa, to use whatever i needed, which i believe i stayed within a responsible financial parameter for her care and expenses.
in attending seminars for caregivers i became aware that such should be the case if and when my mom would require to apply for medicaid assistance in the event her monies did not last. hence i explained this to my brother and we went to an elder care attorney who explained to us what we needed to do to accomplish this, which we were suppose to begin this month. now after the fact of learning this i am trying to justify the monies i spent down to the last penny to my family. i cannot give such precise information because i did not do what should have been done years ago, it is not that i do not want to. yet i am being threatened by my siblings that they will seek legal action. which is why i asked the question do they have a case against me?
so, where is your brother in all of this? And the siblings making the threats, are they also on the accounts?

rosie5

jwtros

my brother is asking me to explain as best i can so that he can get "whomever" the ones are that are making the threats off his back. and no the ones i believe who are threatening are not on the accounts. my brother is trying to appease them so no further family problems arise as the two sisters who are demanding answers felt my care was inadequate, and i was the wrong person to care for her and hence why they are placing mom in a nursing home, they are not only taking financial inventory, they have taken inventory on her furniture and personal possessions and demand an account for things my mom has given away to others in the family. they are very controlling and like to bully their way through our lives and no they have no legal power with my mom medically or financially , they are as the rest of us one of 10 heirs to whatever is left of my mom's estate. my brother is just trying to do the right thing.

BelizeBreeze

my brother is asking me to explain as best i can so that he can get "whomever" the ones are that are making the threats off his back. and no the ones i believe who are threatening are not on the accounts. my brother is trying to appease them so no further family problems arise ...... my brother is just trying to do the right thing.
Then explain to your brother that he has no legal responsibility to explain to anyone other than the owners of the account anything about it. And if he wants confirmation, have him revisit that attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">