• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In-Laws want to take property out of their names

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaded_rose

What is the name of your state? Missouri

My mother-in-law has discussed with me recently that she was told that a nursing home can take their property if either her or my father-in-law end up in a nursing home. She says she is trying to talk her husband into taking everything out of their names and he doesn't want to.
I'm a little concerned that this is a way for my brother-in-law to get everything in his name so my husband and their 2 sisters will get nothing once their parents are gone. If my husband's brother sits down with his dad and tells him it's what he needs to do, he will do it.
Is it true that the nursing home will have the right to claim their property if they need to go into one?

anteater

jaded_rose said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri

My mother-in-law has discussed with me recently that she was told that a nursing home can take their property if either her or my father-in-law end up in a nursing home. She says she is trying to talk her husband into taking everything out of their names and he doesn't want to.
I'm a little concerned that this is a way for my brother-in-law to get everything in his name so my husband and their 2 sisters will get nothing once their parents are gone. If my husband's brother sits down with his dad and tells him it's what he needs to do, he will do it.
Is it true that the nursing home will have the right to claim their property if they need to go into one?
Who do you think is going to pay the nursing home if it is necessary?

lwpat

I'm a little concerned that this is a way for my brother-in-law to get everything in his name so my husband and their 2 sisters will get nothing once their parents are gone
You should be more that a "little" concerned. They need to consult an elder care attorney and be sure everything is done correctly. Living wills, wills, POA's etc. There are a lot of issues. I would suggest that your husband make arrangements for his parents to consult with an attorney and that all the siblings split the cost. It will save all of you in the long run. If the parents are in good health, they need to go by themselves. Then be sure that originals of all the paperwork is retained by the attorney. I have seen too many cases where the will disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">