• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving rehab

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rdemmitt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Can a person leave a physical rehab/home if they do not want the services? My sister is in a home/rehab and she wants out. They are telling her she can not leave unless the doctor releases her.

rdemmitt

She was in there because she was a little weak from being dehydrated. They wanted her to have therapy. She wanted out patient therapy. The main complant she has is they keep trying to get her to sign a paper turning her SSI check over to them. She does not leave by herself. She lives with my husband and I.

BlondiePB

She was in there because she was a little weak from being dehydrated. They wanted her to have therapy. She wanted out patient therapy. The main complant she has is they keep trying to get her to sign a paper turning her SSI check over to them. She does not leave by herself. She lives with my husband and I.
Thank you.

First of all, tell her not to sign her check over to the rehab place. Was sis admitted to this place directly from a hospital? There's a good reason I'm asking this question and other questions. Does sis have medicare and/or a medicare HMO or other supplemental insurance? Does sis have any Medicaid coverage (including for a medically needy person) if she qualifies for it?

Sis can sign herself out with or without her doctor's blessing. Have her call her doctor and tell the doctor she wants in home therapy because she is leaving that place. Just be sure she is not placing herself and her care in jeopardy.

rdemmitt

She has medicare/medicaid and she was admitted straight from the hospital. We went down and took her out and she signed all the papers about being released against the doctors wishes. The nurses kept telling her she will get the bill and medicare/medicaid will not pay since the doctor didn't release her. The very next day two deputies showed up at my house saying they were called by the home wanting them to do a welfare check and to check the home. They were also told she was in a wheel chair, which she is not. They were very rude. When they did talk to her alone, they tried to talk her into going back. She refused.

BlondiePB

She has medicare/medicaid and she was admitted straight from the hospital.
Then, she had a qualified admittance that is covered by insurances.

We went down and took her out and she signed all the papers about being released against the doctors wishes.
She had the right to sign herself out.
The nurses kept telling her she will get the bill and medicare/medicaid will not pay since the doctor didn't release her.
Me thinks that they are full of crap.
The very next day two deputies showed up at my house saying they were called by the home wanting them to do a welfare check and to check the home. They were also told she was in a wheel chair, which she is not. They were very rude.
The home had the right to report.
When they did talk to her alone, they tried to talk her into going back. She refused.
She has the right to refuse.

P.S. Get her a new physician.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">