• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Leg to Stand On

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abuseofpower

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My paternal grandmother and her husband raised me from birth, literally. They were known as mom and dad to me until I moved out at 18. For the last 12 years they were still mom and dad. Last year my mom past away. My dad was in an automobile accident 3 weeks later and almost died. He had lost most of his memory after the accident, but has gotten most of it back. He is now in a nursing facility because he has the onset of dementia. For the most part he is normal, but probably would be declared incompetent in a court of law. My parents own a house, a mobile home and have quite a bit of money or items that are worth a lot. However, my mother has 4 children from a previous marriage, and my father has 4 from a previous marriage also. I am the only one that was raised by the both of them. I am worried about any legal ground that I may or may not have. I was not adopted but have letters proving that they wanted to. It just never happened. What can I do to gain the legal rights that i deserve? Adoption is still an option, but is it necessary in order for me to get the legal status of being their child? Any other advice you can offer, would be helpful as well.
Thanks.

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My paternal grandmother and her husband raised me from birth, literally. They were known as mom and dad to me until I moved out at 18. For the last 12 years they were still mom and dad. Last year my mom past away. My dad was in an automobile accident 3 weeks later and almost died. He had lost most of his memory after the accident, but has gotten most of it back. He is now in a nursing facility because he has the onset of dementia. For the most part he is normal, but probably would be declared incompetent in a court of law. My parents own a house, a mobile home and have quite a bit of money or items that are worth a lot. However, my mother has 4 children from a previous marriage, and my father has 4 from a previous marriage also. I am the only one that was raised by the both of them. I am worried about any legal ground that I may or may not have. I was not adopted but have letters proving that they wanted to. It just never happened. What can I do to gain the legal rights that i deserve? Adoption is still an option, but is it necessary in order for me to get the legal status of being their child? Any other advice you can offer, would be helpful as well.
Thanks.
Sorry, it's too late for your grandparent to sign any legal documents.

Kiawah

You make no mention of an existing will, nor any mention as to how assets are currently titled.

Depending upon how an asset is titled or has a beneficiary (bank account, investment account, insurance policy, IRA, home, trust, etc) will help determine whether the asset passes directly to someone, or is part of the estate. If it becomes part of the estate, then the will and the probate process dictates to whom the assets would go. If no will, then the states intestate laws will determine how the assets get split up.

BTW, if they don't get it connected right because they can't get to the piping correctly when the new tub is installed, then it will leak and ruin your ceiling anyhow.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">