• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability for nursing costs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

conejo1

What is the name of your state? California
My father is 97 years old and has been quite ill for the last three years, while my mother is 92 and in mid-stage Alzheimer’s. My father has been in and out of the hospital many times in the last three years. I live in California, while my parents live in New Jersey with my sister. My sister has chosen to keep them at her home in New Jersey, even though it is apparent that they need 24 hour nursing care and should be in a facility. She has power of attorney for both my parents, and has spent down their considerable assets on in-home nursing care for them. My parents’ assets have now been depleted. I told my sister that, since their assets are depleted that they should go on Medicaid. She has refused this idea and insists on keeping them at home at a cost of at least $2,000. per week. She has demanded that I share equally in the cost (over $50,000. per year). I told her I was clearly not able to do this, and that our parents would have to go on Medicaid. She will not listen. She considers it a family embarrassment for our parents to go on Medicaid. My questions are: am I legally responsible to contribute to the in-home nursing costs?; and can my sister legally sue me to enforce a payment?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">